Sunshine and Adventure

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

By: Hannah Alvarez

The weather is slowly getting warmer which means it is time to get back outside and enjoy the sun. Though winter is full of some magical, free activities there are also some fun activities to enjoy in the spring. Honestly, you could do so much in the spring, but I will just give you guys 5 easy and free activities to either do alone, with friends or family. 

1. Picnic: This may seem a little gross, especially if you are not used to it, but enjoying a nice picnic is an easy, and for the most part, free activity to do in the spring. When the weather is warm, I am sure many people want to go outside, but who wouldn’t want to lay out on a blanket and eat good food while doing that. Grab a blanket, friends, or go solo, along with some food  you’ve either prepared or purchased and go find a sunny part in a park or anywhere you so choose. Then all that’s left is to enjoy! Going on picnics is one of my favorite activities to do in the spring. 
  2. Sunbathing: Sunbathing is another fun and easy activity to do in the spring. This may seem like a summer activity obviously because it involves the sun, but depending on where you are the weather may just be perfect. Grab a beach towel, sunglasses, put a bathing suit on, grab a book or headphones if you want to listen to music and go find yourself a warm and sunny place and get a tan. This activity is perfect if you are by yourself because it does not involve talking, but you can do it with people. The more the merrier I always say. 
  3. Build a fairy garden: This activity is another fun pastime that I actually loved to do when I was younger. If you like fairies now or did in the past, I would suggest building a fairy garden. This is a little difficult when you live in a dorm or somewhere where a yard is not present, but since the point is being outside you can still build outside and bring it indoors for decoration. Though this activity is not free it is not too expensive either. All you need is a pot, soil, and some cute little accessories(like little houses, fairies, anything miniature really). This activity, from my experience, is better when you involve a friend because you can do multiple gardens, but if you want, you can do it by yourself.  
  4. Painting outside: Honestly you can combine this with a picnic, but if you just want to paint that works too. When the weather is warm and you have inspiration nothing beats painting. I don’t do this activity often because I am not great at painting, but if you are an artist grab a canvas and paints and let your imagination take you away. 
  5. Bike Ride: If you want to get some exercise but don’t want to run or walk, another fun activity is going on a bike ride. This might be a little hard if you don’t have the necessary equipment but it is a great way to relieve the stress. I love going bike riding because it lets me enjoy the weather while getting a little exercise in. You can do this with friends, family or by yourself. You can also listen to the birds or put some headphones on. The possibilities are endless. Just enjoy!!

I hope these activities give you some inspiration while you are trying to decide on what you want to do in the spring. The possibilities are endless and I hope you not only take advantage of the weather but also enjoy the activity you are deciding to do. Have fun!!!

Hello everyone my name is Hannah Alvarez and I am a sophomore. I am currently double majoring in Psychology and Environmental Studies, but I may add on a minor. On campus I am involved in ESA(Epsilon Sigma Alpha) and also apart of the Phi Rho Sorority. I am from a sub-burb just 45 min south of Denver, Colorado called Castle Rock and form being being from Colorado I also just love the outdoors. I just like an hour away from the mountains so in the summer of love hiking, going on bike rides, driving up to the mountain towns and hanging out with people. I am also very adventurous so white-water rafting and activity's like that excite me. In the winter, I try to get up to the mountains as much as possible and enjoy the winter activity's that the mountains have to offer.