Various affordable fall décor items
Various affordable fall décor items
Original photo by Kyla White

Fall Has Arrived

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

It’s the middle of September, you know what that means…. It’s almost fall!

The start of fall is right around the corner and I couldn’t be more excited. With its close arrival, I thought I would share all things fall. 

PUMPKINS: Naturally, I have to mention pumpkin. It is the season of all things orange and pumpkin. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin scented candles, pumpkin decorations, carving pumpkins. The Pumpkin Cold Foam Cold Brew from Starbucks (I look forward to it all year). Pumpkin patches are so fun and just the perfect fall activity. I would love to carve a pumpkin this year. That is essential to Halloween. 

LEAVES. Every year, I love to see the leaves change colors. The crunch beneath your feet. Something about the colors of the earth during fall brings me so much comfort. I wish the trees could like that all year long. Sure, I love the green but the warm colors! Something about it really gets to me. I love when trees turn really orange and they almost look like they are on fire. Pure magic. 

WEATHER: I will miss the summer but if it means cooler weather… good riddance. I am head over heels in love with cooler weather. If I could live somewhere that has a low of like 45 and a high of like 80 degrees, I would be the happiest girl in the world (if you know where this is please let me know). Soon, I can walk to class without looking like I ran a mile. Soon, I will be able to wear PANTS. Oh, how I love pants. 

FASHION: Speaking of pants, fall fashion is the best. Any kind of pants are my go-to: jeans, fun patterned, pleather, corduroy, trousers oh my! Sweaters are a must. Nothing is more comforting than that one sweater you got from Goodwill. I’ve been waiting all summer to wear my Taylor Swift cardigan again. Flannels! Although I do tend to whip out my comfort flannel in the summer, it will make an even bigger appearance in these upcoming weeks. And finally, boots. It wouldn’t be fall without a good pair of boots. My go-to is the Platform Chelsea Boots from Doc Martin. Chefs kiss!

HALLOWEEN: I’ve saved this for last for a reason. Many people know that I am overly obsessed with Halloween and I will admit that is true. Where do I start? DRESSING UP! I know I can’t be the only one that has started planning out what their costume will be this year. I’m so excited to see what the popular costumes are this year and just seeing how people dress up. Dressing up for Halloween is cool. Go all out. DECORATIONS. I love spooky things. My favorite thing as a kid was looking at everyone’s Halloween decorations in my neighborhood. I think it is the coolest thing to see someone’s house transformed into their Halloween creation. The effort some people put in is impressive. TRADITIONS. Every person has their traditions (or none at all, that is ok). In recent years, it has become a tradition to go to a haunted corn maze with my brother and friends. I’m so excited to go this year. If anyone wants to check it out, it’s the Haunted Corn Maze in Malta, IL! I always have to watch Hocus Pocus and all the Halloweentowns. 

THANKSGIVING: Don’t think I forgot about Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving really is the epitome of fall and in a sense a goodbye to fall. Although fall technically ends on December 21, November 25th gets pretty winter-like depending on the year (climate change is real so let’s see how this year is). The holiday is all about comfort. A big meal and time with your family. 

I hope that got you in the fall mood. Goodbye summer. Hello, fall. 

Sloane McIlrath

Augustana '23

Hi! I'm a junior at Augustana College in Rock Island, IL. I'm majoring in creative writing and journalism with a minor in entertainment media. I have such a deep love for writing and all things creative. I hope one day I am able to create something as beautiful as many people have.