This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

I don’t know about you, but once the weather took a turn toward winter, I’ve been craving warm soup non-stop. I love making a big batch of soup to keep in the fridge/freezer for awhile during the cold months to reheat for lunch/dinner! Super easy, quick, and perfect for cold winter nights when you need to warm up. This soup only takes one pot to prepare! Adding all of the ingredients, and a few stirs is all it takes. This recipe is filled with healthy and immune boosting ingredients that we all need a bit more of during the winter. The beans for protein, tons of veggies, and chicken bone broth to support healthy bones and immune systems makes this soup a must have in your kitchen. Try it for yourself when you need something to warm up your hands and your belly this winter!

Tomato and Black Bean Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

1 28 oz cans diced tomato

2 cup chicken bone broth

1 green pepper diced 

1 can corn

1 can black beans

1 can pinto beans

¼ tsp cumin

½ tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

½ tsp paprika

½ tsp garlic powder 

1 tsp oil (I used avocado for a healthier alternative!)

Instructions:

Pour all of the ingredients into a large pot on the stove. As it comes to a boil, turn the flame down and let it simmer/lightly boil for about 18 minutes! Enjoy with avocado, cheese, tortilla strips, cilantro, etc. on top or with your favorite chips on the side!

Natalia is a junior at Augustana College studying biology. She hopes to become a dentist who makes the world smile brighter. When she isn't studying you can find her at the gym sweatin' or at the mall shopping for clothes she can't afford. Natalia is a pretty typical college chick who's really into motivation, health & fitness, style, food and music. Find her on instagram @talibear31!
Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020