The Clothesline Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The Clothesline Project is a tribute to survivors and victims of domestic violence in the United States. It was started in 1990, inspired by the AIDS Memorial Quilt. This project started with a single clothesline in one town, with 31 decorated shirts adorning it. It has blossomed into something much larger, with clotheslines put up in many towns and on many college campuses.

During Symposium day, Augustana students were invited to decorate shirts with messages of support, strength, and hope for survivors of domestic abuse. The shirts were displayed on several clotheslines in the quad during week seven, alongside posters with statistics and messages of support. Messages such as “I Believe You,” “Don’t Remain Silent,” and “I Stand With You” adorned the quad alongside information about getting support as a survivor. The event’s organizers used the hashtag #augie4survivors to promote the project on social media, and students expressed their messages of encouragement. On October 5th, student organizers of the event held a closing ceremony, where the display was removed. Students were invited to a forum to discuss the project, and ways for those impacted by domestic violence and sexual assault to heal.

This year’s Clothesline display was a poignant message on campus. After the vandalization and burning of the project last year, organizers refused to be discouraged. The project was not only reinstalled, it was bigger than last year’s installation. The message of the display spoke loudly and clearly—survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence will not be silenced. Augustana students will not allow survivors to feel threatened or afraid to share their stories. This message is particularly impactful after the criticism Augustana administration faced last year over their handling of sexual assault allegations. The Clothesline Project shows that there are students who will fight for the end of domestic violence. Students will stand at the sides of survivors of abuse and encourage them to speak out.

The Clothesline Project was extremely important when it was started, and in the current political climate, it continues to be an impactful event. With the seemingly imminent confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh, accused of many acts of sexual violence, to the Supreme Court, it is more important than ever for survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse to feel safe and empowered to speak out. By installing this clothesline, even for a week, Augustana College shows its commitment to supporting survivors.  

Senior at Augustana College. Biochemistry and Psychology Major. Proud Feminist. Third Year with Her Campus. 
Augustana Contributor