This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

It’s that time of the year! The time of year where everyone starts panicking and freaking out about what gifts to give their beloved friends and family. If you’re anything like me, you missed out on the chance to buy gifts for friends and family on Black Friday because you were too busy buying gifts for the most important person in your life–yourself! Even if this applies to you, fear not. This guide will give you all that you need to get your friends and family the perfect gift.

TIP 1: Listen carefully for when the prospective gift receiver mentions anything that they like, and write it down! If your friend says, “I wish I had one of those gloves with the magnetic fingers so I can be on my phone in this terrible weather without my hands freezing off,” then immediately make a note that you should buy your cell phone reliant friend some magnetic finger gloves for Christmas. Your friend will love this because not only is it something that he or she wants, it’s also extremely thoughtful. If your friend is not someone who constantly rants to you about things that he or she wants, don’t worry there are more options:

TIP 2: Half Priced Books is an affordable book store that also sells records, posters, and other knick-knacks. This store literally sells books at half price which makes it a great option for your gift searching. Half Priced Books is an especially great option, say, if your vegan friend constantly rants about cooking amazing vegan meals every single day of their life. Then easy peasy! You can head to the Half Priced Books website, search vegan cookbooks and then you can hear your friend rant about vegan food even more.

If you want to check it out, here’s the link to the website: https://www.hpb.com/home

TIP 3: Concert tickets for the two of you! A big plus with this one is that by purchasing concert tickets you’re buying a little gift for yourself too. This gift is especially perfect if you and your friend are constantly blaring “thank u, next” together every car ride. If this is the case then don’t hesitate to cash out on some Ariana Grande tickets.

Wanna buy your tickets now? Here’s the link to Ticketmaster: https://www.ticketmaster.com/discover/concerts

TIP 4: A spa day gift basket is always a solid option because everyone loves to be pampered! All you have to do is buy a facemask, a candle, a bath bomb, and maybe a good movie—and you’re set. Your friend will love having an excuse to relax after the busy holiday season.

TIP 5: A gift card to his or her favorite coffee shop. After Christmas break your friend will need to hunker down and return to real life. They will go back school, back to work, and most likely back to their favorite coffee shop. So what better way to get them back into the swing of things then to give them an excuse to go to their favorite place to get work done. Whether that’s Starbucks, Dunkin’, or a local coffee shop, it really doesn’t matter as long as it’s a place that they love!

TIP 6: A framed photo of the two of you together. Nothing says happy holidays like a sentimental gift that brings back great memories. Plus, this option is great if you want to keep costs low. PRO TIP: Walgreens always has discounts for photo prints. The current code is SNOWDAY40 where you can get 40% off.

TIP 7: Write a letter. It sounds simple but a letter can go a long way. It is so easy to get caught up in all of the distractions that come along with the holiday, and forget about why we celebrate the holiday in the first place. We celebrate to spend time with the people that we love most. We celebrate to take a step back from our busy lives and focus on friends and family, so take that time to tell your friends and family just how much they mean to you. That’s the best Christmas gift you can give!

Alexa Pedersen

Augustana '20

Communication and Women & Gender Studies | Feminist-in-progress.