“Are You Man Enough to Walk in Her Shoes” Sexual Assault Fundraiser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

On January 14th, from 1pm-3pm in the PepsiCo gym at Augustana College, the Delta Chi Theta sorority and Phi Omega Phi fraternity are hosting an event to raise money for SafePath Survivor Resources of the Quad Cities. Sexual assault is an issue that affects women and men everywhere, and it is also a crime that typically goes unreported (especially on college campuses). SafePath Survivor Resources seeks to educate communities in order to rid them of this violence. This organization also places focus on helping and supporting survivors of sexual assault.

The event, titled “Are You Man Enough to Walk in Her Shoes,” plans on raising awareness for the issue on Augustana’s campus. During the event, men and women from Augustana will be competing in various events in high heels. This approach seeks to demonstrate what it literally feels like to walk in someone else’s shoes. Those who attend will also be able to hear more serious information about sexual assault and what we can do as members of the Augustana community.  

When speaking with Elise Cather (head coordinator of the event), about what she wants Augustana’s campus to take away from the fundraiser, she had this to say:

“Our administration and the Title 9 team have done a fantastic job of bringing up the issues and the resources available surrounding sexual assault, but we want to make it easier for it to be a discussion between students and peers. We are hoping that raising awareness through a student-run event, we can break down the barriers and taboos that this is something you don’t discuss with your friends.”

Sexual assault is a crime that unfortunately thrives on the silence of survivors. “Are You Man Enough to Walk in Her Shoes” seeks to break the silence and make Augustana a safe place to discuss sexual assault. Regardless of the path a survivor chooses, the event nonetheless aims to support survivors, educate, and empower the Augustana community.

If you are interested in attending the event, the entrance fee is $3. So far, the event has raised $580. Those who are interested in donating can do so online:

https://www.piggybackr.com/delta_chi_theta/sexual-assault-victims-support-sexual-assault-victims-fundraiser

If you are a survivor of sexual assault on campus, there are several courses of action you can take if you wish to do so.

Please visit the following link if you are seeking more information about the resources available to you: http://www.augustana.edu/student-life/dean-of-students/title-ix-policy-on-sex-discrimination-and-sexual-violence

An English and Communications Major who is passionate about creating and reading literature.
Augustana Contributor