Culture > Digital

6 Video Essayists to Watch While Procrastinating Your Homework

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

I know I’m not the only one who’s very guilty of spending hours on YouTube when I should be doing my homework. With the weather getting colder, the urge to stay in bed and watch videos all day gets more and more tempting—and nothing passes the time quite like an overly long video essay, so allow me to provide some recommendations for quality video essayists to spend hours watching instead of actually being productive!

1. James Somerton

James Somerton is a Canadian YouTuber most known for his analysis of films, books and comics, especially regarding LGBT history and characters.  He is also vocal about the treatment of gay men in history and says that we should always encourage the remembrance of it. If you want long videos about popular media and queer issues, tackled from  a gay perspective, James is the YouTuber for you!

1. Khadija Mbowe

Khadija Mbowe is a Ghanaian-Canadian non-binary YouTuber and actor known best for their videos regarding race, influencers, and LGBT issues. Most of their videos are less than an hour long and provide a lot of sociological insight. If you’re looking for short videos about pop culture and societal issues, tackled from a Black queer perspective, Khadija is the YouTuber for you!

1. Yhara Zayd

Yhara Zayd is an American YouTuber best known for her analysis of media through the feminist lens, especially media aimed at women, as well as analysis of social issues in breakdowns of children’s movies. Many of her videos are less than thirty minutes long and tackle issues in a direct, succinct manner. If you’re looking for quick videos about feminism and racial issues, tackled from a Black American perspective, Yhara is the YouTuber for you!

1. Hbomberguy

Hbomberguy is an English YouTuber best known for his video essays regarding gaming, the anti-SJW community, and various social issues. His videos are very long and very in-depth, yet entertaining at the same time, as best exemplified by his “Roblox oof.mp4” video, and he is not afraid to tackle hot-button topics such as vaccination. If you’re looking for long, in-depth videos, and are willing to put up with very few uploads, Hbomberguy is the YouTuber for you!

1. Lindsay Ellis

Lindsay Ellis is an American media critic, film critic, author and YouTuber. She stopped creating YouTube content in 2021, but when she was uploading, she was known first for her work as “The Nostalgia Chick,” and later for long-form video essays, particularly about Disney films (as well as her omegaverse videos…). If movies are your thing and you like longer videos, particularly from an accomplished film critic and author, Lindsay Ellis is the YouTuber for you!

1. Kidology

Kidology is a South African-British YouTuber best known for her video essays regarding and analyzing many aspects of modern culture, with a focus on gender and racial analysis. She does a lot of good sociological analysis of internet trends, so if you’re into medium-length essays that dive deep into social issues that are particularly prevalent in the online sphere, then Kidology is the Youtuber for you!

Hello! My name is Mak, and I go by they/them pronouns. I'm a part of the Augustana College class of 2027, and I'm a History/Sociology-Anthropology double major (hopefully adding either a French or WGSS minor to that). I'm your classic insufferable angry queer feminist poet with too many opinions and too much time on her hands. Give me any topic and I'll write up a little rant about it, no problem, though I occasionally struggle with speaking out loud. I absolutely love to write and draw and sing, and I know way too much information about the band Fall Out Boy. I don't necessarily believe in astrology, but I'll admit it's a hobby of mine (I'm a Leo sun, Cancer moon, and Capricorn rising). My main goal is to work towards a better, safer future, both on campus and out in the world, for *all* women and feminine-aligned individuals, as well as to examine, understand, and deconstruct the sociology of gender and patriarchy in our society today. I'm always open to discussion and constructive criticism of any and everything I write on here — no one is perfect, myself included. Just shoot me a message or find me on campus. Love and support to all!