5 Ways to Balance Academics and Athletics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

There’s much to love about being a collegiate athlete. Having teammates constantly by your side, creating new memories everyday at practice, bragging about the accomplishments your team made, achieving your goals after putting in hours of hard work, looking forward to team outings—the list goes on. I’m so happy I decided to continue running cross country and track at Augustana; being a part of this community provided me with such enjoyable experiences.

Honestly, the student athlete life isn’t all that glorious; we sometimes forget the “student” in student athlete. Keeping up with schoolwork while consuming your time competing in sports drains the energy out of you. Not everyone can handle the pressure of performing well in school and on the field. However, that doesn’t mean that it’s impossible. As difficult as it is, you can learn to manage the responsibilities we student athletes bear so it’s not so overwhelming.

1. Communicate with your professors

I cannot stress enough the importance of talking to your professors, mainly when you must miss class for competition. Not only should you let them know what’s going on, but inform them ahead of time when you have to miss class. That way, you avoid getting behind while establishing a good relationship with your instructor. Even reach out to them when you’re struggling so you can receive the help you need. It proves to them that you’re dedicated to the class and aware that you’re accountable for your own work.

2. Constructing a class schedule

One of the luxuries of attending college is that you have control over building your schedule, so do use that to your advantage. When choosing classes, be sure they don’t overlap with practices or competitions. Do note when you must travel far for competition and find a pattern so you can avoid enrolling in a class that you’ll end up skipping often. It takes away the stress of having to miss class and catch up.

3. Plan ahead and accordingly

Keep a planner or a calendar. Record practices, competitions, and assignments. Keep track of when your major assignments are due. Look for any overlaps between due dates and days of competition. Determine which times are best for studying and working.

4. Manage your time

This might go along with the previous one, but familiarize yourself with your schedule. Look for open time slots during the the day dedicated to working on homework. Do a little bit during these times. Don’t push everything off until the evening, and don’t wait until the last minute either. The point is to prevent cramming your work in one sitting and rushing to finish it.

5. Practice self-care

Make sure you’re eating enough meals, drinking enough water, and getting enough sleep. And don’t forget to give yourself a break now and then. There’s no shame in pausing your work to give your mind and body a rest. Use that time to take deep, slow breaths if that will help you relax. Whatever is going on in your life, don’t neglect to take care of yourself. Check up on yourself and recognize your needs.

College is stressful enough and committing yourself to a sport adds on pressure. It’s up to you how you choose to approach these responsibilities, but never underestimate the amount of work you have.

Augustana Contributor