From YouTube to Stardom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

With the recent rise of social media in today’s culture, it isn’t surprising that aspiring musicians are taking advantage of sites like Twitter and Facebook to spread their music and gain fans.  Several talented artists have posted their videos of both cover songs and original music on YouTube in hopes of catching the eye of record producers or other professionals in the music industry. In fact, Usher discovered Justin Bieber after Bieber’s mother posted videos on YouTube of his talent show competition for friends and family that couldn’t attend. All it takes is one video upload to go from YouTube to stardom. Check out our favorite YouTube stars below!

Tyler Ward
Ward is known for taking the latest hit songs and making them his own. He has covered songs from artists like Taylor Swift, Jason Mraz and Foster the People. He also regularly features other YouTube artists like Alex G. and even did a duet with Aussie pop star Cody Simpson. After releasing his first original album “Hello Love Heartbreak,” Ward toured in Europe and will be finishing the year with U.S. dates.

“The Way We Are” – Tyler Ward

Megan & Liz
If you’ve listened to the radio recently, chances are you’ve heard the latest girl-power anthem “Bad for Me.” Twin sisters Megan and Liz Mace released the hit after uploading several videos of home performances of their favorite songs like “The A Team” and “What Makes You Beautiful.” Now the girls’ resumes include performing at the iHeartRadio Festival, appearances on Ryan Seacrest’s Top 40 radio show and a partnership with Macy’s that includes a nationwide commercial featuring the twins and their hit song. Be sure to check out their “Bad for Me” EP filled with original music this month!

“Bad For Me” – Megan & Liz

Boyce Avenue
Boyce Avenue is a three-piece rock band featuring three brothers from Florida dedicated to covering songs from today’s artists like Carly Rae Jepsen and Gotye and putting their own spin on classics from Tracy Chapman and Journey. After gaining fans including One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson with their cover videos, the band of brothers put out original music and since then has toured the Philippines, the United States and the United Kingdom. The guys in Boyce Avenue now have their own record label called 3 Peace Records and are working on their third album.

“Every Breath” – Boyce Avenue

Tiffany Alvord
At the young age of 19, Tiffany Alvord has lived a life filled with success. With 1 million YouTube subscribers, Alvord has two original albums under her belt and continues to put out cover videos of songs from artists like One Republic and Rihanna. Her latest album, “My Heart Is,” was released this past September and hit #1 on the iTunes Singer/Songwriter countdown the day it released. She performed at the first ever YouTube Stars Concert in Singapore this summer and will be busy touring until the end of the year.

“My Heart Is” – Tiffany Alvord

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.