You Can Do It!–Staying Motivated in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

With test week coming and going in a flash, midterms creeping up, and the stress of the real world kicking in, staying on top of things and motivating yourself can be hard—here are a few ways to help lessen that stress.

• Plan Ahead

Have a dinner planned for Tuesday? Going out with friends Wednesday night? You are probably thinking about your social calendar for this week, or getting texts from people asking if you want to go out to eat or hang out soon… Then you remember all the work you have due the next day. That’s okay! You can still go out with your friends, just plan ahead and get your work done early. If you have a long break between classes, go find a quiet place to sit and do homework. Done with classes early in the day? Go home and get your work done so you can enjoy the night.

• Prioritize

Many weeks will be filled with so much work and multiple classes to study for, and this can often become overwhelming. Most of the time, the problem is we do not even know where to start. In this case, make a list of all you have to get done and their due dates. Allot a certain amount of time for each subject or task, each day. Focus predominantly on what is most important or what needs to be done first.

• Find Your Stress Reliever—and Do It

Going on a run, listening to some soothing music, or even calling up a friend are some simple and effective stress relievers. Studying for a long periods of time can be overwhelming, taking a break every now and then is beneficial to your work and even helps you get things done more efficiently. This is also good for your body and mind. Find what helps you best reduce your stress, and do it. It will help in the long run.

• Get Sleep

Pulling an all-nighter may be in your future, but it does not have to be. In fact, it is not even worth it. Getting at least a few hours of sleep, even when you have a test the next day, will increase the chances of you performing better. Overworking our bodies does not help at all, and will ultimately make you even more sick or tired than you already are.

• Find Inspiration

Inspiration is all around us, we do not even know it. Find what inspires you, and makes you want to work hard. It may be your favorite bible verse, a person you look up to, or even the thought of your future. Whatever it is, choose to stay motivated because of it. Still stuck on what inspires you? Look into blogs, books, pictures, and even the people you meet.

• Set Goals

Write out goals for yourself—for the day, the week, or even the semester. Think of what is most important to you, and strive towards making it a part of your life. Once you reach these goals, striking them off your list will be such a satisfying feeling, and your hard work and dedication will be realized.

• Think Positively

People have always said you get nowhere with a negative attitude, and well, they have always been right. You are not going to pass your test if you go in with the mindset that you are going to fail. You are not going to have a good day if you wake up in a funk and choose not to get out of it. You get what you give, so always look on the bright side. It may take time, but the results of thinking positively will come back.