Why Ally Was the Perfect Role for Lady Gaga in the Movie “A Star Is Born”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

If you’re like me and cannot stop listening to the movie’s soundtrack, you would know that Lady Gaga absolutely slays in this movie. From her authentic appearance to impeccable vocal range, it would be hard to testify that she didn’t put her all into this film. For those who haven’t seen it, spoilers are ahead so stop reading while you can!

For our generation, we grew up to see Lady Gaga as eccentric, carefree, but most importantly a mecca of creation. She said what was on her mind, and expressed her inner visions with her appearance and music that followed. When I saw this film, I felt like I saw a real person. I forgot throughout the movie that she was even a celebrity to begin with. Her features looked real, there was no heavy makeup, crazy costumes or enhanced features. It was just her; and I think that is something most viewers appreciated seeing.

I knew Lady Gaga had talent, but her acting was so real and raw and down to earth that I could see the emotional toll she invested in what her character, Ally, was feeling in the scenes. She made us believe that she was in love with Bradley Cooper’s character. I felt the fire and passion in her soul when she sang and not to mention her voice is one of the best of our generation.

Another reason why I loved Lady Gaga in this movie was because of the music, like I mentioned earlier. For most of her songs, they’re upbeat and bubbly, but every song on the soundtrack was slower and had its own depth to it. Lady Gaga’s vocal range is projected in the song “Shallow” she sings with Bradley Cooper that gives the entire audience goosebumps. We as the viewers watch as Ally’s fame rises with her undeniable talent, and her progression is heart warming.

Overall, Ally is a strong, confident, empowering woman and Lady Gaga is nonetheless the perfect person to express these characteristics.

Sweet you rock, and sweet you roll
Cathlene is a senior studying journalism and women's studies at Auburn University. She has been a part of Her Campus Auburn for three years and is in her first year as Campus Correspondent. When she isn't studying and working on Her Campus, she enjoys baking desserts, reading young adult fiction and watching Netflix (mainly Friends, The Office and The Great British Baking Show). Some of her favorite things include Disney, desserts and fluffy animals to cuddle. Cathlene aspires to write for a magazine once she graduates and hopefully move back to Los Angeles.