Ways to Get a Spring Break Bod Without the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Spring Break is only a short time away and we all know what that means. Spring Break is a week to forget school, throw your cares away, and get a tan. But these all come with a price and that is rocking a bikini. Now if you’re anything like me you may have overindulged this past winter break (the snow days didn’t help either) and there is still some work to do before you hit the beach. But fear not! Here are some simple changes you can make that will guarantee results.

1. Buy a Refillable Water Bottle

You can get these super cheap at any grocery store, Walmart, or even the bookstore. This one seems like a no-brainer but you wouldn’t believe the amount of people who don’t get enough or any water throughout the day. Most of the time when we think we are hungry, we are actually just thirsty. There is no exact formula on figuring out how much water you should drink because everyone is different. An easy way to get in water and eat less is to drink a glass of water before each meal. You will get the water you need and also feel fuller. 

2. Eat Some Fruits & Vegetables

I love Chick-Fil-A as much as the next person, but waffle fries don’t count as a daily serving of vegetables. Buy some carrots at the store and pack them in your backpack for when you get hungry in class, or replace the fries with a fruit cup. If you can get at least two servings of fruits and veggies every day you will feel better, have smoother skin, and more energy.

3. Don’t Overeat! 

I know this is easier said than done, but this is a big one. We tend to overeat when we go out, so cut your meal in half and have your waiter box it up before you even start eating. That way you won’t be tempted to eat the whole thing and you have a meal for later!

4. Cook Your Own Meals 

Like I said, we tend to overeat when we go out to eat, so limit your going out to 2-3 times a week, or just on weekends. Food at restaurants is often frozen or high in salts. If you are looking for a tasty meal that is easy to cook at home, simply pan-fry a chicken breast in olive oil with a little salt and pepper on each side. Then you can make some minute brown rice or make a baked potato by simply poking holes in it and microwaving it. My personal favorite is sautéed vegetables with a little oregano, parsley, and red wine vinegar. It is easy to get a home cooked meal that is delicious and healthy. 

5. Stop Snacking 

When we are bored it is almost an instinct to head for some chips or cookies, but you must learn the difference between bored eating and actual hunger. If you feel the urge to eat a snack, wait 10 minutes and see if your are still hungry. If you are then choose a more satisfying snack like an apple or raw vegetables dipped in hummus. 

6. Clear Liquor 

One of the hardest parts about getting in shape is kicking the alcohol. We are in college so we know that isn’t an easy option. Beer can rack up serious calories and bar drinks made with soda are full of sugar. When you go to the bar order a vodka and soda with a lime. Crystal Light makes a perfect low calorie mixer as well. Ditch the beer, go clear! 

Nicole is a senior at Auburn University majoring in journalism with a minor in marketing. She is a Campus Corespondent (CC) for Auburn's chapter. She enjoys long walks to class, fine wines and cheeses and spending time with her cat. Nicole can most likely be found at a music festival or in her bed. There are no inbetweens.