This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Great movies are made up of great parts. The actors have to know their parts and portray their characters accurately. The director has to make the film relatable and appealing to his or her audience. The wardrobe team must choose clothing that catches the viewer’s eye. There are a variety of jobs that go into making a movie. But the soundtrack is what brings it all together.

Every song must match every scene in both atmosphere and emotion. Imagine if the music team for “Titanic” had chosen a song along the lines of “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls instead of Celine Dion’s heart wrenching “My Heart Will Go On.” The song choice would have made one of cinema’s most iconic scenes awkward, and that’s putting it lightly. More importantly, it would have confused the audience. Viewers wouldn’t know how to act or behave in reaction to the song. That’s how powerful music is in a film. It’s Celine Dion’s song that makes us tear up and yell “I’ll never let go, Jack!” Any other song seems unnatural.

While that example is obviously exaggerated, it displays the importance of a soundtrack. The music chosen isn’t just background noise. Well, it is. But it means more than that to the audience. There are just some soundtracks out there that have a perfect song for every scene for every emotion. Here are a few of them.

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”

I’ll go ahead and start with the scene where Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey sing Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain” since it is easily the best scene of the movie. The karaoke duet of Simon’s classic with its straightforward words makes for a funny scene even if it is at a low point in the film. Keith Urban’s “Somebody Like You” plays as the couple’s love blossoms, and “Follow You Down” from The Gin Blossoms cues McConaughey’s desperate attempt to get his lady back. This soundtrack team has song placement down to a science.

“You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon

“Stand By Me”

“Stand By Me,” a movie based on a Stephen King novella, embraces the classics of the 1950s through its soundtrack. Buddy Holly’s “Everyday” instantly connects fans of Rob Reiner’s film to the train tracks the four boys walk on throughout in many scenes. Who could forget Teddy and Verne’s “Lollipop” dance scene complete with a handmade pop sound? Of course, Ben E. King’s classic “Stand By Me” finishes off the classic movie during the credits bringing the masterpiece of a soundtrack to an incredible end.

“Everyday” by Buddy Holly

“Empire Records”

This movie and soundtrack were made for people born in the 1990s. The first song on the soundtrack comes from The Gin Blossoms, a popular band from the decade. “Til I Hear It From You” makes an appearance in the preview with its post-grunge sound. Other songs from 1990s heavyweights like Better Than Ezra and The Cranberries embody everything about the decade from clothes to attitude to most importantly the music and its influences in the era of grunge.

“Til I Hear It From You” by The Gin Blossoms

“The Parent Trap”

Before Lindsay Lohan was famous for her court appearances (or lack thereof), she brought family movie gold to the screen with “The Parent Trap.” The iconic scene where Lohan is introduced to London while “Here Comes the Sun” from Bob Khaleel (originally by The Beatles) plays gives this movie a feel-good soundtrack. Other classic songs like Natalie Cole’s “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” and The Lovin’ Spoonful’s “Do You Believe In Magic?” wrap up the soundtrack making it a favorite among families.

“Here Comes the Sun” by Bob Khaleel (originally by The Beatles)

What are your favorite soundtracks? Let us know in the comments!

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.