This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

The weather is changing, which means your closet should be too. If you are anything like me, you love fall fashion but have a hard time finding cute, affordable, and comfy fall clothes and accessories to put together the perfect fall outfit. No worries though, sit back and sip your pumpkin spice latte (because you know it’s still your go-to fall drink). I have come up with the 7 staple items you absolutely must have this season to make being fashionable easy, whatever the price range. Include one of the seven pieces in any wardrobe, and you’ll up immediately up your fashion game.

1. Hat

Whether you are into floppy hats, structured hats or no hats, now is a perfect time to utilize them to spice up your wardrobe. Throwing on a hat can take your outfit from an average 7 to a solid 11. Take a risk this fall and show everyone you and your style mean business.

2. Scarf

Fashionable and functional? Count me in. You probably already own a good scarf, but contrary to popular belief, less is not more. Scarves are the perfect accessory to give your outfit that effortless boost. A good scarf can bring a whole outfit together. They are also usually easily affordable, keep you warm, and can be worn so many different ways with tons of different outfits.

3. Oversized Sweater

Oversized sweaters are my go-to when the weather starts to change. You can dress an oversized sweater down with regular skinnies and flats, or dress it up with a statement necklace, a skirt, stockings and booties. Before you stop everything to go spend big bucks on a sweater, make sure to check all local thrift stores. You are guaranteed a bargain price and a unique find.

4. Flannel

Another comfy cute statement piece that can’t go wrong: a flannel in the fall. This the perfect go-to when you need a quick but stylish outfit (where you will definitely look like you tried but in reality you have to put in zero effort). It is perfect for everyday outings like class or shopping but can always be dressed up for a night out with friends or even a coffee date with that cute guy you always make eye contact with in class. If you are feeling extra rebellious double up on the plaid by wearing a plaid shirt with a flannel shirt unbuttoned over it. 

5. Suede Skirt

Forget about your regular old jeans for a second because suede is in. I repeat, SUEDE IS IN! This trend is still on the rise, so make a statement and step your suede game up ASAP. I know y’all might be thinking, “suede skirts? But I’ll be cold!”. Okay stop right there. You can pair any skirt with a sweater or tights which will keep you at the perfect temperatrue all day. You’re welcome.

6. Knee High Socks

Knee-high socks might seem kind of 90’s, but who cares because the 90’s  were the best, right? (Cher from Clueless obviously knew what she was doing.) Knee-highs give your legs that extra warmth you need if you’re worried about getting too chilly, while also giving your outfit that extra umph.

7. Booties and Boots

Closed toe shoes are essential for the changing weather. So go ahead and give your flops and sandals the boot (literally). It’s always a good idea to have at least one pair of both handy for cold weather. Make sure to have neutral colors so they can pretty much go with any outfit. Knee high boots are also in right now, so if you find some, you betta werk!