I’ll Pay For The Couples Counseling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

“Love is dead!” That was my initial thought when these couples called it quits.  It really is cruel when a TV or movie couple takes their love from on-screen to the real world.  It gives us ordinary people hope.  Hope that love is like the movies– writing love letters, kissing in the rain, shouting your love for each other for the world to hear, and of course the fairytale ending.

But love is not always as easy as Hollywood makes it out be.  Here are some of our favorite on-screen/off-screen celebrity couples that we all wish would get over it and get back together!

Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth (2009-2013)

The most recent off-screen couple to call it quits (or the only one I care about) is Miley and Liam.  After meeting and falling in love on the set of The Last Song, “Miam” took the world by storm with their whirlwind romance.  I don’t care what you say—they were perfect.  In addition to living together, sharing pets, and having couples tatoos, Miley and Liam were engaged for a year.  While they obviously had their issues during the relationship (even taking a few breaks), they ultimately broke up after they realized they no longer were the same people they were when they met in 2009.  I have complete faith that these two will reconnect as they continue to grow as people and as a musician and actor, respectively.

Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerholder (2010-2013)

In my opinion, they are one of the most beautiful couples ever! So naturally it was shocking when their relationship ended recently. Although they parted as friends, I cannot get behind this breakup.  Despite the ten-year age difference these two just worked.  Along with being an extremely attractive couple, they worked so well together, both on-screen and off-screen.  I still have hope that these “Vampire Diaries” hotties will reconcile on the set of their steamy CW show.

Sophia Bush and Austin Nichols (2006-2012)

Although Sophia was romantically linked to numerous costars during One Tree Hill’s run, it was Austin who seemed to be the perfect fit.  They broke up after six glorious years of fans being content in the fact that Brooke and Julian’s love wasn’t just for the show.  I still refuse to accept that these two fantastic relationships are over… me and One Tree Hill, and Sophia and Austin.

Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner (Sept. 2009- Dec. 2009)

Okay now, I know not a lot of people are going to agree with me on this one.  While they only dated shortly after meeting on the set of the movie Valentine’s Day, this relationship always seemed to have been a good match to me.  Also, Taylor (Lautner) is the only ex that Taylor (Swift) has written an apology song for, therefore admitting it was her mistake their relationship ended.  Sounds pretty mature to me.  Also, it was really funny that they have the same name.  I think “Taylor Squared” should give it another shot because this could be a real winner for Taylor (both of them).

Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson (2003-2006)

You can’t create a list of the best celebrity couples without Adam and Rachel who met on the set of the amazing FOX show, The O.C.  When they began dating during the first season, they teased fans with hope that our Seth and Summer fantasies wouldn’t die with the show and would live on with the happy couple.  But those dreams were shattered when the couple broke up during the final season.  If they can’t make it work, I don’t know who can.

Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens (2006- 2010)

Wildcats everywhere are waving their hands in the air… and wanting this couple to get back together.  Zac and Vanessa were a match made in Disney heaven and they dated for four years (the same number of years as high school.. interesting).  Regardless, this couple was fantastic in all aspects and this should never have ended.  Never.  Zac and Vanessa need to reconnect ASAP. After all,  we’re all in this together.

Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams (2004-2007 & 2008)

Hands down the most notable on-screen/off-screen couple, Ryan and Rachel are the couple that need to get back toegether.  Even I realize they need to be together and Ryan Gosling is my celebrity crush, but we all make sacrifices in the name of true love.  After falling in love while filming The Notebook, they confirmed they were meant to be when they had the greatest MTV Movie Awards Best Kiss acceptance speech of all time.  Basically the best acceptance speech in any category, ever.  However, after two years together the gorgeous couple broke up, and then reconciled for a short time, then called it quits again.  It was a rough road for us all.  Who doesn’t want this couple to get back together? (If you don’t want them to get back together, you’re wrong.)

These couples need to work it out and get back together!  They’re our only hope in believing the kind of love that Hollywood teases us with is real. Which celebrity break-ups left you feeling like you’d been dumped? Tell us in the comments below!

Image 1, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a8b