Guide to Galentine’s Day: Girl’s Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Valentine’s Day: the best (and in some cases, worst) day of the year. Everywhere you turn there’s a giant teddy bear, box of chocolates and couples making googly eyes at each other. Instead of locking yourself in your apartment with your nine cats, favorite Netflix series and a pint of Starbucks ice cream, go celebrate another type of relationship: the one with your best girl friends.

1. It’s not a celebration without some cute décor.

Hit up Party City or Target to get all your Valentine’s Day decorating done in one trip. It’s not like you have to take these decorations down after a few weeks either; the pinks, reds and hearts can be incorporated into any kind of apartment style. If pink isn’t your thing, go suttle with girly textures, like lace, or incorporate greys and tans into your heart-filled romance. 

Check out these lights

How cute is this throw pillow? Perfect for February 14th and basically every other day of the year.

2. Don’t forget the cupcakes.

Whether you’re Rachel Ray in training or a go to Publix kind of girl, you have to have snacks for your Galentine’s celebration. I recommend Pinterest for all the heart-shaped cookie recipes you could ever dream of. If not, I’m sure Publix has some cute cupcakes.

cake roll like this could be fun way to bond with your girlfriends.

Quick, easy sugar cookies! And you better make a double batch because your gal pals will love these.

3. Entertainment is a must.

No, I don’t mean hiring guys from Chippendales! Rent some of the best chick flicks you can think of, but save the tears and Nicholas Sparks for another time. Tonight is not about feeling sorry for yourself, but enjoying the presence of your best friends.

Bridesmaids- The best comedy of all time (in my opinion) and proof that even the single ladies ultimately win in the end.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants- Another classic and a remainder to be grateful for your girls who have always had your back. Bows before bros, right?

4. A girl’s got to eat.

And no I don’t just mean the delicious Pintrest snacks you slaved over for hours. Since every restaurant in town is probably booked solid and full of those annoying, googly eyed couples mentioned above, you have a few options: order pizza. Maybe they will make it in the shape of a heart? That may just be in the movies, sorry girls. Or if you want to treat yourself, order takeout from the best place in town! That way, you can stay in your pajamas all night.

5. Last but not least, OUTFITS.

It’s Valentine’s Day after all, and of course even if you aren’t leaving the house, you still want to look cute and festive. Who said pajamas don’t fit the bill?

How adorable are these Betsey Johnson pj’s? Adding them to my wishlist.

Or these? Laughing out loud, these pajamas speak the truth.

At the end of the day, whether you spend Valentine’s Day with your beau, your gals, or your cat, just remember to love yourself!

Animal Science major with a passion for writing. Crazy cat lover, avid diet coke drinker and a shopping addict.