A Girls’ Guide to Those Nasty Things Called UTI’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Listen up girls: you may not want to hear it, but UTI’s (urinary tract infections) are more common than you think. According to Discovery Fit and Health, one in every five women will have a UTI sometime during their life. That’s a 20% chance! 20% more than what I want it to be. Time to stop avoiding the inevitable; what is a UTI and how does one get one?

A UTI is an infection in the urinary tract, like the kidneys, bladder, and urethra. Bacteria causes a UTI to enter the urethra and it may travel to the bladder and kidneys. This bacteria is found in stool and on the skin “down there.” Often times your body will do a nice thing and remove the bacteria, but sometimes your body can’t quite get it all, leaving some bacteria in your urinary tract. This will cause irritation and usually leads to an infection which can be extremely painful. It is most common to develop at UTI after you have been sick when your immune system is weak, so it is important that you stay strong and healthy!

Some risk factors that increase your likelihood of developing a UTI include:
• Having sex
•Some medications
•Hormonal changes that occur as a result of pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause
•Diabetes
•Exposure to damp clothes
•Recurrent infections

Symptoms Include:
•Burning sensation when you urinate
•Strong, persistent need to urinate
•Urine has odor and/or is cloudy
•Pain in lower abdomen
•Nausea, vomiting

Sponsored information:

To get rid of these nasty little things you can take AZO Urinary Pain Relief, maximum strength. These little pills target the source of pain fast. It is the #1 Pharmacist Recommended brand of urinary tract relief! To prevent them, take daily AZO Cranberry, Urinary Tract Health. These pills taste like little drops of cranberry goodness and they help support urinary tract health.

As a college woman, your likely focus on your health, but don’t forget about your health “down there!” It is just as important! AZO makes it fast, easy, and convenient to prevent and rid UTI’s from happening. Without proper treatment, a UTI can develop into something much more serious that would require medical attention. So do your body and favor and rely on AZO!

Want samples of AZO to keep in your dorm or apartment? Contact the Campus Correspondents!

Summer is a currently a senior student at Auburn University. As a journalism major she actively enjoys writing and is the co-founder and current Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus branch at Auburn, as well as a writer for the Greek newspaper The Odyssey. In addition, Summer is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, PRSSA and the Society of Professional Journalists. Summer loves fashion and enjoys blogging about her personal style.