Five of the Best Music Scenes in Movie History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

A movie is nothing without a soundtrack. But what’s even better than a soundtrack is an awesome music scene. Whether they have live performances, dance routines or sing-alongs, movies with music scenes rock! Here are five of the best music scenes in movie history!

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”

Everyone knows Ferris Bueller had the best day ever when he played hooky from school. But did you know he could sing just like The Beatles? Okay, I confess. He’s lip-syncing, but his dance moves are contagious as the scene shows construction workers, parade-goers and even a flash mob dancing to this classic song. This is definitely a dance party you wouldn’t want to miss!

“That Thing You Do”

I can’t tell you how many interviews I’ve seen or read where artists discuss what they did when they heard their song on the radio for the first time. None of their experiences compare to The Wonders’. The scene is filled with excitement and dancing as the band members tune all of the radios in the building to a station playing their first hit, “That Thing You Do.” Even though The Wonders are a fictional band, their reaction to radio play makes the scene both hilarious and believable.

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower”

Although the movie is still in theaters, its Facebook page released this scene recently. Charlie (Logan Lerman) joins Sam (Emma Watson) and Patrick (Ezra Miller) on the dance floor when “Come On, Eileen” plays at the homecoming dance. Seeing Watson in a role beside Hermione Granger is refreshing, while Lerman’s moves are too adorable for words. The scene is hilarious and charming and marks the beginning of a friendship that carries the movie.

“Almost Famous”

“Almost Famous” tells the story of an aspiring rock journalist and his assignment to cover a band called Stillwater. As an awkward silence settles on the tour bus, Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer” plays. The song plays for several seconds until someone starts singing out loud. The remaining passengers join in for one of the best sing-alongs in film history. The scene reveals my personal favorite hobby of singing in the car and the ability of music to unite a group of people.

“School of Rock”

Any movie that turns kids into rock stars has to be awesome, right? An aspiring musician (Jack Black) disguises himself as a schoolteacher and uses his students to form a new band. They do everything from making stage outfits to writing songs. The final performance showcases all of the students’ talents as they play a variety of instruments and get the chance to show everyone how much they rock. This scene will have you wishing the School of Rock really existed!

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.