Everything You Need To Know About the Recent Florida School Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Picture source: Harvard Gazette

I’m sure everyone has heard at least something about the recent school shooting in Florida, but several news sites are warping the facts based on their political views. So here’s what you need to know so that you can form an opinion for yourself.

When: February 14th, 2018

Where: Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida

What Happened: Nikolas Cruz, a former student of the high school, opened fire upon the students with an AR-15 rifle, which is considered a semi-automatic weapon. He shot and killed 17 people, as well as wounded 14 more. Of the 17 killed, 14 were students, ages ranging from 14-18. Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder. 

This school shooting is the deadliest school shooting since the 2012 shooting of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. This is the 18th report of gunfire in schools just this year. Because this shooting has been the deadliest in six years, students affected by school shootings have created a national protest for more gun control. This is the National School Walkout. The National School Walkout will occur on April 20th—the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting. Students will attend school until 10:00 a.m. when they will walk outside and peacefully protest the gun violence America is experiencing. 

Now, why are students protesting? As someone who has witnessed a shooting, the fear that plagues your mind and body during and for months after the experience obliterates all sense of comfort and security in your home, town and school. As the land of the free, the United States should not be allowing their children be put in dangerous situations that mentally scar them for life. I know, I know. I said I wouldn’t give my opinion. But I figured a first-hand account of how it feels to watch someone get shot would be helpful information for those who haven’t had that encounter. Anyways, gun control could be stricter. For example, in the United States, shotguns or rifles can be sold to an 18 year old. All other firearms can only be sold to those 21 and older. Also, a background check is required in order to purchase a firearm — put into place by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993. However, those wanting to purchase a firearm do not have to wait two weeks, and do not have to undergo a psychiatric test to see if they are mentally fit to carry a firearm. While firearms were previously unable to be sold to those with a mental illness, President Trump has repealed that regulation. 

So, you’ve got the facts. You’ve heard a little of my opinion on the subject. It’s time for you to make your own opinion on gun violence and support that in any way you choose.