Emma Watson and Feminism: Reaching a New Audience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

From portraying strong female characters to standing up for her fellow female celebrities, Emma Watson frequently brings attention to the stereotypical gender norms of today’s society. Now Watson is taking her mission a step further with her new role as Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women, a United Nations organization focused on gender equality. The actress delivered a speech in New York at the UN Headquarters where she defined feminism and called for action for equal rights for women. Instead of focusing on a typically female audience, Watson reached out to a much different demographic: men.

Her speech began with the announcement of HeForShe, the first campaign at the UN aimed at gaining male advocates for gender equality. Watson went on to explain how feminism has recently become associated with the term “man-hating” and how that must be stopped. By sharing her personal experiences of gender inequality over the years, Watson described how she first recognized that she was a feminist. Now that she is older, she realizes that her feministic views are seen as “too strong, too aggressive, isolating, anti-men and unattractive.” To combat this kind of thinking, Watson explains what the feminist part of her identity means. She believes men and women counterparts should be paid equally in the workplace. She believes women should have the right to make decisions regarding their bodies. She believes that women deserve the same respect as men. Most importantly, she believes that all of these rights are not rights for men and rights for women. They are simply human rights.

What might be considered most significant in her speech is Watson’s recognition of gender inequality for males. In the workplace and the government, males may reign supreme. However, Watson shares that men are restricted by stereotypes as well. She discusses that men are kept from being emotional in order to preserve a macho stature, which leads to mental problems and instability. While she understands that females face inequality, she aims to produce change on both sides of society’s gender division:

“Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong. It is time that we all perceive gender on a spectrum, not as two opposing sets of ideals.”

Actor Douglas Booth shows support for his “Noah” co-star’s HeForShe campaign.

Watson ended her speech with a request for men to step up and help the feminist movement and the HeForShe campaign. She has proved that gender equality is an issue that needs attention. She fearlessly explained how identifying as a feminist should not be viewed with an anti-men connotation. Most importantly, she extended an invitation for men to join the feminist movement with intense determination and unwavering courage.

For the full transcript of Watson’s speech, visit UNWomen.org.

Rep ImageImage 1Image 2

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.