This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Glowing, clear skin. Lustrous locks. Beautiful nails. Bright, white teeth. These are traits familiar to every woman – but considering the amount of blow-drying done, makeup slept in, nail polish worn, and coffee drunk by the average woman (not to mention the amount of money it costs to reverse the damage) they are often dreams that seem far out of reach. Enter a little DIY action and there are millions of ways to regain and enhance all the beauty you thought you would never be able to without breaking the bank. Some of these remedies are even all natural and made out of products that are probably already stashed in your kitchen pantry, and if that’s not a plus then I don’t know what is!

Blackhead Eraser

You will need:
-Half a lemon
-A bottle of honey (all natural if possible)

Directions:
Squeeze a few drops of honey onto the pulp of the lemon half. Gently rub the lemon with the honey all over your face, paying special attention to the areas especially prone to blackheads (forehead, nose, chin). Leave the lemon juice/honey mixture on your skin for about 5 minutes, then rinse with cold water.

Benefits:
Besides removing blackheads, this mixture improves your overall skin quality! The lemon juice brightens skin tone by fading dark spots caused by sun damage and acne scars, and the honey is a natural moisturizer!

Dry Shampoo (courtesy of Hookable Designs)

You will need:
-Cornstarch
-Rubbing Alcohol
-Water
-A small bowl or container for mixing
-A spray bottle 

Directions:
Mix 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch, 4 tablespoons of water, and 1 tablespoon of the rubbing alcohol all together and pour into a spray bottle. Spray onto your scalp and any other greasy areas of your hair (NOTE: this “dry” shampoo is actually more like a “damp” shampoo, but it only takes a few moments to dry, and use a hair dryer to speed the process). 
Why it works:
The rubbing alcohol and cornstarch both suck up grease, and the time it takes the water in the mixture to evaporate allows the alcohol and cornstarch to dissolve and do their job without leaving and gross residue!

Nail Stain Removal

You will need:
-Hydrogen peroxide
-Baking soda

Directions:
Make a paste with 1 tablespoon of peroxide and 2 ¼ tablespoon of baking soda, slather it over your fingers and/or toenails, and let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing.

Benefits:
This mixture removes those pesky yellow stains that dark nail polish leaves behind through gentle bleaching, much like how whitening toothpaste works! 

Teeth Whitening

You will need:
-Hydrogen peroxide
-Q-tips

Directions:
Dip a Q-tip into a capful of hydrogen peroxide and rub it on the fronts of your teeth, let it sit for only 30 seconds, then brush your teeth with toothpaste like you normally would. Do every day for a week!

How it works:
Much like the nail stain-removing mixture we looked at above, the peroxide bleaches your teeth – but even quicker than a whitening toothpaste! (NOTE: hydrogen peroxide does not taste pleasant, but just stick it out for 30 seconds a night and it’ll be totally worth it!) 

Junior Creative Writing Major at Auburn University
Summer is a currently a senior student at Auburn University. As a journalism major she actively enjoys writing and is the co-founder and current Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus branch at Auburn, as well as a writer for the Greek newspaper The Odyssey. In addition, Summer is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, PRSSA and the Society of Professional Journalists. Summer loves fashion and enjoys blogging about her personal style.