The Crunch: Mint Pea Pasta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

When September rolls around, most of the country enjoys lower temperatures in addition to the typical hallmarks of the onset of fall, like shorter days and weekend afternoons spent watching football. We Auburn residents, however, endure the 90-degree heat until cooler weather rolls around in October.

Though you’re probably sick of showing up to class drenched in sweat, prolonged warmer temperatures do have their perks, particularly when it comes to what’s available—and more importantly fresh—at the grocery store. Snatch mint while you still can, and whip up the latest installation of The Crunch: Mint Pea Pasta.

The title of this recipe might have you questioning whether this green pasta dish topped with pea sauce is worth trying. Yes, the green color is less appetizing than the typical pasta dish served with a hearty tomato sauce, thick wedges of mozzarella, and a garnish of basil. But, the combination of mint, peas and lemon yields a light lunch that will serve as a welcome break from your typical on-campus lunch routine. For less than $10 ($9.22 to be exact), the recipe makes two servings of pasta, so give the mint-pea flavor combo a shot with this dish.

Mint Pea Pasta

Serves 2

4 ounces spaghetti

3 Tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic, minced

1 cup frozen peas, thawed

Zest of half a lemon

1 teaspoon lemon juice

½ teaspoon kosher salt

6 mint leaves

¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, bring 4-6 quarts of water to a boil. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and spaghetti, and cook for 6 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta and set aside.

Sautee garlic clove in 1 Tbsp olive oil until slightly brown and fragrant.

Combine garlic, pasta water, peas, lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, mint and parmesan in a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth.

Top spaghetti with mint-pea sauce, and garnish with peas and lemon zest.