This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Here in the South football is one of the biggest traditions, and sometimes the only tradition. But here at Auburn we are blessed to have every type of sport, Hockey being one of them. I got the chance to talk to Evan Barber, a sophomore on the Auburn University Hockey team. 

Campus Celeb: Evan Barber 

Grade: Sophomore

Position: Center 

How long have you been playing hockey? 

Since I was seven. Here in the South everyone is really into football, but being from the North East I grew up with hockey. 

How is balancing school and hockey? 

Between school and hockey it can get a little bit hectic, but I have learned to manage my time.  Also, the upperclassmen really help the younger guys get adjusted and help them manage their time. 

What else are you involved in besides the team?

I am an active brother at Delta Sigma Phi fraternity.

What are your plans for hockey after college? 

Going to the rink, drinking a few beers, and playing in the Men’s League.

Who is your favorite professional team? 

Boston Bruins 

Sorry this is lame, but I have to ask- have you even lost a tooth in a game? 

*laughs* Nope.

Who is your favorite hockey player? 

Sidney Crosby, he plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins. 

Where and when do y’all practice? 

We practice Tuesdays and Thursdays in Columbus, GA, about 35 minutes away from here. 

When are games and who do y’all play? 

Every weekend all around the SEC 

Since the rink is in Columbus, how does that effect the turnouts of the games? 

It doesn’t effect how we play, but it does make the number of fans that come out less than it would be if the rink was on campus. People could just get drunk and walk to the games instead of having to find a way out to Columbus. 

Are there any plans of possibly building a rink in Auburn? 

Yes. The University of Georgia just got approved to start building a rink, so we are going to use that as an example. If their rink goes well, then we can base our rink of theirs and  hopefully work on a rink of our own. 

So this year you have a new coach, how is he going to change the team for the new season? 

Our new coach, Marcel Richard, comes from a strong hockey background. I’m excited for what he is going to bring to the team- he is exactly what we need to take the team to the next level.

What are the expected outcomes for this season?

We have a good set of forwards this season, and quite a lot of potential. If we can stay strong in the defensive zone then we will be successful.

Nicole is a senior at Auburn University majoring in journalism with a minor in marketing. She is a Campus Corespondent (CC) for Auburn's chapter. She enjoys long walks to class, fine wines and cheeses and spending time with her cat. Nicole can most likely be found at a music festival or in her bed. There are no inbetweens.