Beating The Vertical Challenge: The Short Girl’s Guide to Looking Tall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

At a staggering 5’4”, I don’t exactly have the look of a long, leggy model. As much as I might want it to, my height is not likely to change. But just because you’re on the smaller side doesn’t mean you have to look it! Here are some easy tips to help you look long, lean, and runway ready (just in time for College Fashion Week Auburn!).

Everyone knows high heels give girls the extra inches they crave, but did you know the type of heel you buy can make you look even longer? Wearing heels with a low vamp (the part that goes across your toes) can actually make your legs look longer. If you can find a pair that matches your skin tone, that’s even better. Also try to avoid ankle straps. The tend to chop your leg off at the ankle instead of making the long, lean line we want. Emma Watson may only be 5’5, but she looks model-tall in these nude stilettos.

When it comes to skirt length, pick one extreme or the other. If you want a short skirt, wear a mini, if you want a long skirt, wear a maxi. Mid-length skirts tend to make us vertically challenged girls  look even shorter and sometimes a little stumpy. Maxi skirts can create the illusion of a longer body, especially if worn on the waist (like Mary-Kate Olson, 5’2).

If maxis aren’t your thing, try a mini! Mini skirts show a lot of skin, and when worn with heels can give the legs-for-days look. But remember, short does not mean skimpy. Keep it classy, ladies.

As southern girls, we’ve all heard the saying, “The higher the hair, the closer to heaven.” Not only does big hair get you closer to God, but it makes you look taller, too. So take a hint from Nicole Richie (5’0) bust out the teasing combs, rock a top knot and enjoy your new-found inches.

So here’s to my short girls, let’s follow these tips and make everyone look up to us for a change!

Brooke Willeford is sophomore at Auburn University, majoring in apparel design (maybe). When she's not writing for Her Campus, she is involved in SGA Elections Council, Apparel Merchandising and Design Association, and a proud member of Kappa Alpha Theta. When she's not doing any of that, she's spending her time eating, watching Netflixs and spending hours on Pinterest.