5 Ways to Add Christmas Cheer to Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Even though we only have two weeks to endure our tiny college living spaces before we go to the boundless luxury of home for the holidays, there is plenty of time to add a little bit of holiday cheer to your dorm or apartment. Here are a few fun ways to spice up your dorm room for the weeks ahead!

1. Let it Snow

Paper snowflakes aren’t just for kids anymore. They are the perfect five minute study break craft, and are super simple to make. Also, there are patterns for these lovely flakes on every corner of the internet, ranging from intricate and lovely to completely nerdy. So grab a pair of scissors, a piece of paper, and a laptop- a wintery dorm wonderland is mere minutes away!

2. Light it Up

Christmas lights are undoubtedly one of the most dainty and shiny ways to add the sparkle of the holidays to a tiny space. Sprinkling them all around your space allows you to imagine that you’re back home watching the blinking of the lights on your neighbors’ homes. And these tiny light delights are extremely versatile- put them in glass containers, drape them behind curtains, wind them up the legs of your bed, extend them out into the hallway- the possibilities are endless!

3. Get a Tree

What is Christmas decor without the most iconic part of Christmas- the tree itself?! Grab your roomie, go to the store, and pick out a tree and some cute ornaments. It will undoubtedly increase your holiday spirit tenfold! And if you don’t have room on the floor for a tree, go up the wall! Ribbon, lights, tape, and ornaments can make for a sweet and subtle makeshift tree that will give you just as much holiday spirit as the one on the floor.

4. Show it off.

One of the best parts of living in a dorm or apartment is being able to show off your style to the people who live around you, so don’t be afraid to flaunt it! Wreaths are one of the cutest ways to spread Christmas cheer to the outside of your door. Another way to spread the cheer is by decorating the bulletin board outside your door with wrapping paper, tinsel, and a cute message. You get the idea- grab some hooks and some creativity, and you’ve got a super adorable entryway!

5. Count it down.

Every collegiette is counting down to the day finals are over and they get to go on a brain break, so why not put it on display for all to see? Cute Christmas countdowns let you see exactly how many days are left until one of the best days of the year, and they definitely are the cherry on top of the Christmas cheer in your newly decorated dorm.

Rep Image

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Meghan is a senior at Auburn majoring in microbiology and minoring in journalism. She has been a contributing writer for Her Campus since her freshman year of college, and she absolutely loves it! Her life is made up of alternating periods of stress and relaxation, but full of joy. She loves octopi, Dr. Pepper and strong jawlines.