5 Song Covers That Won’t Have You Covering Your Ears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

YouTube song covers can range from totally ridiculous and embarrassing to exciting and memorable. Cover versions have become a great way for artists to establish their unique styles. Thanks to YouTube, we have a front row seat whenever a band, group, or artist plays an individual version of some recent hit, a classic oldie, or a song that wasn’t very popular and spinning them into something new. After years of being limited to the original version of a song, this century has brought about a change in the way in which we listen to music and the walls between artists and audiences are crumbling fast. It’s not just about how well you perform the music, but how well you present it.

Here are some of my favorite covers exposing some of the great talent the Internet has to offer! 

Boyce Avenue feat. Fifth Harmony – “Mirrors ” originally by Justin Timberlake

The melody and hook for “Mirrors” is outstanding and the approach this cover takes only heightens the emotion of this song.  By stripping down the instruments and focusing on vocals, they have showed the genius behind this song while also making it their own.

Miley Cyrus- “Jolene” originally by Dolly Parton

I personally loved all of the songs from Miley’s Backyard Sessions but her take on Jolene was brilliant. It reveals that, regardless of the direction she has decided to take in her music career, Miley Cyrus can sing.  Everything about this video, from her whimsy style and location to her stellar vocals, is fantastic.

Lennon and Maisy- “Headlock” originally by Iomgen Heap

Lennon and Maisy have made a name for themselves with their wonderful covers posted on their YouTube channel. These sisters are amazing at harmonizing and this cover is a perfect representation of their talent. I love the bluesy tone they have chosen to make this song their own.

Bastille- “We Can’t Stop” originally by Miley Cyrus

This clever rendition not only freshens up the song that everyone was tired of hearing but it also takes liberty in the lyrics. By switching up this popular song, Bastille has made it their own while also proving they see the appeal of the song while also taking a lighthearted dig at Miley’s new image. This cover represents the new appeal of creating response videos to big hits.

Rixton- “I Knew You Were Trouble” originally by Taylor Swift

Rixton takes the idea of a response video one step further in their rendition of this popular Taylor Swift song.  Taylor is known for writing songs about her exes and she basically confirmed “I Knew You Were Trouble” is about her relationship with Harry Styles (even though they weren’t a couple when she recorded the album). Rixton takes this into account in their witty interpretation of the song by flipping the meaning to be a response from Styles. They look at the lyrics from a different point-of-view and the result is incredible. 

Know of any other fantastic covers we should be listening to?  Let us know in the comments below!