Thomas Nasser: The Designer Behind NaZari Jewelry *GIVEAWAY*

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

It’s the beginning of fall, and that means new trends, new clothes, and new styles. And do you know what else is missing to complete the look? You guessed it, jewelry! Without the perfect jewelry, how can we ever complete our outfits to go out in the nice, fresh air that has suddenly turned 10-20 degrees cooler (sweater weather, anyone?). That is why we were lucky enough to interview local jewelry designer, Thomas Nasser, who handcrafts beautiful Raw Rock jewelry pieces that completes anyone’s look! 

How did your business, NaZari Jewelry, come about?

NaZari Jewelry started with just a normal phone conversation I was having with my sister, Amber. We were brainstorming on potential business adventures we could pursue. She was saying how she wanted to open a boutique. Next thing you know, I just shouted out, “I want to start a jewelry business! I am going to do it.” I dedicated myself and here we are today.

Does the name NaZari have a special meaning? What do you guys stand for?

NaZari is really just a name I made up. I wanted a name that was similar to my last name, but was not my last name. (Laughing) Hey, it made sense to me.

Who or what inspired you to create these handcrafted Raw Rock jewelry pieces? And have you always wanted to become a jewelry designer?

I have always had a crafty side to me. The last three years I have actually made my own Halloween costumes. It’s something that just comes naturally; I really enjoy doing it. The rock jewelry was inspired on a trip I made to Sedona, Ariz. Seeing the earth’s natural elements, how crazy beautiful nature itself is, I said to myself, “I want to create some pieces where I can involve natural pieces of the Earth.” Next thing I know, I have rocks everywhere.

What other jewelry pieces have you designed? 

My line aside from the Raw Natural Rocks, I love working with chains and Swarovski crystals. One of my first pieces I designed was a chunky chain bracelet. My goal for my line is to have something that everyone can relate to, no matter what their style type is, at an affordable cost. 

We heard that you were recently on the KRIS Jenner Show a couple months ago, how was that experience like? Were you excited? Nervous?

Yes, the KRIS Jenner show was such an amazing experience. I was truly blessed to be chosen to be apart of this experience. I was so excited. They flew me out there, hired me a driver, put me in a beautiful hotel. It was just a true blessing. I was there for three live show tapings. The nerves did not hit me until I had to actually appear on the TV show. I was so like, “please don’t let me faint” (laughing). It was great exposure for getting my jewelry line name out there. That was really my main goal during [that] time, and I accomplished it. 

(photo coutresy of NaZari Facebook)

Lastly, is there anything else you’d like to add to our readers?

I am so thrilled to announce that NaZari Jewelry has partnered with The Phoenix Children’s Hospital this holiday season for the months of November and December. 30% of all NaZari Jewelry’s sales for those months will be donated to the hospital. We all love to shop for the holidays. This is a great way to give back; knowing your purchase is going to support a great cause.

Because we loved Thomas’s handcrafted jewelry so much, we are giving away this pair of Raw Peacock Ore Studs to one lucky collegiette! All you have to do is tweet us what outfit you’d pair these studs and tag at @hercampusasu with the hashtag #NaZariJewelry by October, 18th to enter and win! 

To look at more of Thomas’s handcrafted jewelry line, check out NaZari Jewelry, which can also be found at HERE on the Corner by the Tempe campus! 

Good luck! 

Caroline Ortiz is currently a senior at Arizona State University majoring in English Literature with a minor in Film and Media Production. She co-founded the ASU Her Campus branch at her university in the spring of 2013 and is very happy to be a part of the Her Campus team! Apart from being involved with Her Campus, she is the Chief of Staff for ASU's Programming and Activities Board (PAB), a student run organization that strives to give their student body the best Sun Devil experience, Secretary of Las Hermanas of the Hispanic Mother Daughter Program, a club striving to provide a supportive and encouraging environment to University Latinas, a Trendspotter for MTV Insights, and was previously a Cosmopolitan Magazine Campus Representative! When she is not busy studying Literature (which requires reading endless amounts of Norton Editions) participating in PAB, Las Hermanas or crewing for a film, she enjoys her time off reading YA novels, magazine, shopping and brainstorming new and exciting things for HC ASU. Her ultimate goal is to move to a metropolitan city and become an Editor-in-Chief for a publishing house or crewing for a feature film!