This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Music is life, straight up. It really is one of the greatest things in existence because it allows us to feel emotions we probably haven’t  experienced yet. Do you remember being that little kid who heard sappy, angsty lyrics and just knew the pain of a broken heart even though you  were literally only ten? Now those were the days!

We were just silly little creatures who pretended to party like rockstars with our tiny soda cups as we heard “Shot! Shot! Shot” (please tell me I wasn’t the only who did this), and looked out the window dramatically as if we knew what being in love felt like. It felt easy and fun to imagine, and now, years later, I can’t seem to let go of these memories. So why let go? We all gotta have our throwback songs, the musical pieces that allow our past to survive. The memories are safe there, and right now, some security and nostalgia in all the chaos is exactly what we need.

I’m pretty sure I’ve been stuck in the 90’s/2000’s for my entire existence so boy do I have plenty of throwbacks to share. If you don’t quite remember hearing these then welcome to what might be the best music you’ll ever hear!

“TiK ToK” by Ke$ha

I have no idea what the heck I was doing listening to a song about partying ‘til the sun comes up because to this day, I honestly still can’t relate (a little sad, I know). But I loved the crap out of it; my tiny little self would sing it under my breath on my daily bus-ride home. Now there’s something I don’t miss—the freaking bus.

“Party in the U.S.A” by Miley Cyrus

This had to be here because, well, it just had to. It’s our Disney and childhood music combined into one, so there. End of story.

“No One” by Alicia Keys

No idea where or when I first heard this and probably never will, but it’s a bop. Good then, still good now.

“Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis

I seriously still ask myself where the heck I got this song from because I know some people who don’t actually remember it. Soooo, it might just be my random childhood happening here, but I seriously recommend this song. Really catchy and angsty.

“Grenade” by Bruno Mars

This has the perfect angst and the music video is brilliant! I replayed this song sooo many times; the first line hits hard.

“Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson

I’m obsessed with punk, I just love every aspect of it! I had  so many punk songs in mind, but I had to go with this one because it’s Kelly Clarkson, and I do remember oh so clearly how popular she was back then. She is still a good singer, but man, I could never love anything as much as I loved this song. If you want to dramatically sing along to something, this song is perfect. (I do it all the time.) 

“Boulevard of Broken Dreams” by Green Day

This song apparently was popular for our fifth grade talent shows because that was the first thing my friend said when I told her about his song. That’s my first memory of it, talk about coincidence. But anyways, this whole band is freaking great! You won’t regret listening to it!

“Stereo Hearts” by Gym Class Heroes ft. Adam Levine

This is catchy as hell even though I can’t sing 90% of it due to the rap, butttt still worth a sing! No idea who the artist is, but Adam Levine’s chorus…so nostalgic.

“Hips Don’t Lie” by Shakira ft. Wyclef Jean

Nothing needs to be said about this one. Just listen to it.

“I Gotta Feeling” by Black Eyed Peas

With this song, the night was really gonna be a good night! (Pun freaking intended!)

There’s of course thousands more throwback songs ready to be played throughout our remaining months in isolation, so plug in those earbuds and take a walk down memory lane!

Diana Arellano Barajas is a junior at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in Arizona State University. She LOVES creating: graphics, animation, video editing, it's all fair game! Originally from a small town in Mexico, Diana currently resides in Phoenix. In her free time, if she isn't found attached to a book, she's writing about everything and anything including experimenting with visual content. Excited to write for HerCampus, Diana's ready to make readers smile, laugh, and possibly cry (in a good way). Feel free to contact her here: dianaarellano753@yahoo.com