This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

The high-stress environment that is formal recruitment is finally in the rearview mirror. Let me be the first to say congratulations! Going through this process can be both a physically and mentally draining two weeks, but now you have finally found your forever sisters and those two weeks were worth it. 

Becoming a new member is both fun but also extremely confusing, and that’s ok! A lot of new terms and events are going to be thrown at you within the first couple of weeks and it might get overwhelming. But don’t fret, that’s what all the active members are there for. They are more than willing to help you than you might first suspect. Everyone in the chapter wants to meet YOU and they’d be more than happy to guide you through a ceremony or ritual. 

Getting introduced to hundreds of girls isn’t always the easiest pill to swallow, either. Just remember, every active member has been standing in your shoes too, and the last thing they want to do is to make you feel uncomfortable. Plenty will reach out to you or find you in chapter to introduce themselves to you. This isn’t just because they want to meet as many people as fast as possible, they also want you to feel genuinely welcome. Everyone means it when they comment on your posts or text you “WELCOME HOME!!” Girls in every chapter are so excited to meet new members and make new friends.

Don’t be afraid to go to the events your sorority holds too! Go to those new members and active member socials, go to those dances and go all out at those retreats. My biggest piece of advice is that you get what you put into your chapter. Putting in the effort to stop by and say hi at a sisterhood event puts your name out there and will make it easier to connect with girls down the road. Engage as much as you can, you won’t get shot down!  The active members want to see you thrive too, so participating doesn’t take away cool points. 

Joining a sorority is such a unique and fun experience to add to your college resume. It’s a great community that will help you find friends that will last a lifetime, and I’m so glad you finally found a place to call your home away from home!

Hey there! Megan is from the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, and is a Sophomore at ASU. She is double majoring in Earth & Environmental Studies and Political Science with hopes of adding a minor in Sustainability. She is currently involved in Greek Life and the Women's Club Soccer Team! Megan enjoys working out, late-night coffee runs with friends, and keeping up with all her beloved sports teams.