Wellness

Resolving 2020 in a Healthy Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

With this new decade ahead of us, 2020 is already looking like a fresh start. Even though it’s a new year, it still feels like the same things are happening just on a different day. Changes can be intimidating but here are five resolutions that can be achieved and not be overwhelming.

Getting Those Steps Up

Going to the gym can look like a mountain in the morning sun, but what if you hiked that mountain in the sun? There are many ways to get your heart rate up without a bill in sight. How about a walk to the coffee shop to get your morning iced coffee or hiking up a mountain to watch the sunrise and take a moment to relax? Parks are not just for kids; adults use them too. Put on those running shoes and do a couple of laps around the landscape. Increasing your steps doesn’t mean you have to step down from everyday life, it just means that you get your feet moving around.

Meditation

Did you know that having a clear mind can help you focus on the tasks ahead? Even five minutes of meditation and stretching after lunch can help you get the rest of your day’s tasks accomplished. Having knots in your neck from looking down at a screen  only causes more stress . So while on your lunch break from work or studying don’t be afraid to close your eyes for five minutes and do some deep breathing and roll your shoulders back and forth before you crack down on the final papers of the day.

Eating Breakfast 

Seems like such a simple concept, right? Yet, many people go without breakfast in the morning. Did you know that skipping breakfast actually crashes your blood sugar before it even starts? Eating an apple in the morning can jump start your metabolism and get those juices flowing so  that by the time you get to lunch, you are ready to eat one of everything from the menu and sit down at your favorite spot. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and like they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Consistent Sleep Schedule 

Remember when you were a kid and you never wanted to go to bed? Now as an adult  sleep seems like such a luxury between everyday tasks, work, school, and chores. Adulting can be hard but getting sleep can help ease the stress. It’s recommended that you sleep  eight hours a night. Sometimes it can seem impossible to get to sleep in the middle of the finals rush or a big time-sensitive project at work , but if you go to sleep and wake up well rested, those assignments and projects will still be there to tackle with a more focused mind that just might get you that A or promotion you are working so hard for.

Socialize 

Some of life’s biggest moments pass when you are working all the time. Even though having that leadership role on your resume looks good, a wine and dine with some friends you haven’t seen in a while isn’t too shabby either. Laughter is good for the soul and for your stress. Making some time for your friends in 2020 may be the medicine you need to have a great year. 

There is so much pressure to make this new year (and new decade) great, but it won’t happen overnight. Setting small goals that better your life is better than trying to change everything at once. Maybe going to bed at ten o’clock instead of eleven will help you become more rested. Maybe having a girl’s night out on the second Friday of every month fits into your schedule. Even sitting down and having some cereal while you go through emails and sip your coffee in the morning will help jump start your day. A little change  can make a large impact in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race, so for 2020 let’s not be Lightning McQueen and speed through the day like there is no tomorrow.

She is a student at Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Digital Audiences. So, you can find her researching the latest trends, following a good hot topics story or jamming out to the latest pop song on Spotify so she knows what's hot and what's not. Her style could be considered androgynous but classy at the same time. Some of her hobbies include graphic design and behind the scenes video production. In her free time, you can find her reading a good book while cuddling with her cat or taking pictures with her camera while walking around the city.