Career > Work

New to HC? Here are 3 easy ways to get started

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Are you new to your school’s Her Campus chapter? Looking to write some articles, but you aren’t sure where to start? I feel you. After writing for Her Campus this long, it’s easy to fall into writer’s block. Here are some easy ways to get those creative juices flowing again! 

1. Write about your passions: 

This is probably the most obvious of all the advice I’ll give you, but it is still important nonetheless. If you don’t care about what you’re writing, why should your reader? Beyond this, it is easiest to ramble on and on about things you care deeply about. Reflect on yourself as a person. 

Do you like music? Write about the local music scene in your city or the Grammys. 

Are you a frequent volunteer at an animal shelter? Write profiles on some animals that people should adopt. 

Do you care about sustainability? Write about how fellow students can make small, green choices during their day-to-day lives. 

Are you a movie buff? Write about the latest flick. 

Anything and everything you care about can be turned into an outlet for writing if you think about it hard enough. Not only will you notice the change in your writing, but so will the audience. 

1. Look local: 

One thing that makes Her Campus unique is that you are writing to the other students on your campus. While it can help to write to the average college student, it’s even more helpful to focus on your school in particular. What makes your campus unique? Where are all the best study spots? What ‘student life’ events are happening that week? It can never hurt to lean on campus culture (because that’s kind of what we’re all about). 

Beyond what’s happening on campus, consider off-campus activities your student class might take a liking to. Think local music venues, charity events, coffee shops, and more. What is happening in your city that everyone should know about? Not only will this give you an abundance of writing material, but it will also help promote local businesses and events. 

Giving back to the community and having writing material? What more could you ask for?

1. Ask your team: 

If all else fails, there is no shame in collaborating with your peers. The best part of Her Campus, in my opinion, is the close-knit staff at every chapter. Does your team have weekly meetings? Join in and voice your struggles. There is no shame in having writer’s block. I guarantee most of your team members will relate, and they might have some genuine solutions for you! 

If you’re too shy to come outright and say you’re struggling, just ask what everyone else is working on at the moment. Obviously, don’t steal other people’s ideas, but it could be helpful to learn more about what everyone else is pursuing that week. 

If you’re still struggling, message your chapter leader directly. They can help assign you stories or point you in the right direction. Welcome to Her Campus, and good luck!

Mia Milinovich is a junior at Barrett, the Honors College, studying English (Literature) and Journalism & Mass Communications. She enjoys writing, reading, listening to garage rock, and going to random, last-minute concerts.