Local Farms Food
Local Farms Food
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Local love: Vintage and farmers markets galore 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

While it is still surprisingly cold in Arizona, the familiar warmth of spring is on its way back. Soon, we will return to blue skies and morning hikes, matcha lattes and walks through the park. But what is the most quintessential part of spring? Local markets. 

There is no better feeling than coordinating with your girls, loading up one car and walking from booth to booth, looking at everything from vintage clothes to baked goods. Want to learn more about the market scene close to Tempe? Keep reading below for five great options. 

1. Mint Market

This monthly market is one of my favorite spots to hit for a good time. While it is a predominantly vintage-clothing-based market, the owner does a great job diversifying the booths monthly and rotating in new vendors. 

There is frequently a coffee truck (which, in my humble opinion, is the best way to start any thrift exploration) parked by the entrance. Alongside it, you’ll often find a Holy Empanadas truck. Have you ever had an empanada with strawberry raspberry lime sauce? It’s amazing, take my word for it!

There are vintage home decor stands, clothing piles for five dollars, piercing booths, mobile tattoo artists and more. If you’re generally looking for a fun way to spend your day, the Mint Market is a great choice!

1. Little Cholla Market

If you’re busy during the day, Little Cholla’s night market might be the perfect fit for you. Right by ASU’s Tempe campus, this market is accessible and, more importantly, a great time! They often host themed markets and, located at Culdesac Tempe, visitors also have the chance to get a feel for their unique, carless community. 

1. Arizona Farmers Markets

With more of a focus on connecting fresh produce directly to consumers, these nine different markets take place all across the Valley. If you can’t make it to one, check their website because chances are there are plenty more to fill its spot. 

This series of markets differentiates itself by also emphasizing sustainable farming and supporting efforts that are based on natural and pesticide-free growing methods. Not only are they open to new customers, but the Arizona Farmers Markets always need new agricultural vendors, food producers and local artisans. 

1. Gather a Vintage

Want something borrowed or something blue? Check out the wide selection of antique treasures and refurbished goods at Tucson’s Gather a Vintage! This market is made even more fun by their monthly themes which all vendors lean into when designing their displays. 

If you are in need of some new furniture for your college apartment (which, aren’t we all?), check out the selection at their next upcoming market!

1. Thieves Market

Looking to go more old school and get a deep dive into flea markets? Look no further than the Thieves Market, held the first Saturday of every month. Let me tell you, they have anything and everything you could want. 

Want to buy a new pair of earrings and want to support a local artist? Thieves Market. Want to put an old-timey oil basin on your desk as decor? Thieves Market. Want to make connections within the flea market community and learn more about antiquing and general bargaining practices? Thieves. Market. 

No matter what, the vintage and farmers market scenes are thriving in Arizona. If you’re a student looking for something to do on the weekends, markets are a great place to find entertainment, friendship and, most importantly, goodies.

Mia Milinovich is a junior at Barrett, the Honors College, studying English (Literature) and Journalism & Mass Communications. She enjoys writing, reading, listening to garage rock, and going to random, last-minute concerts.