Compulsive Shopping Hero
Compulsive Shopping Hero
Rebecca Hoskins / Her Campus Media

Local Love: Mint Market’s Booming Success in AZ 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Kendal Baker knows the world of vintage clothes like the back of her own hand. A seasoned vendor at markets across the valley, she had a vision to take second-hand selling even further, and the Mint Market was officially born.

Baker is the owner of Earth Wind and Vintage, hosting a variety of vintage goods, reworked clothing and handmade pieces. EW&V is run out of Call It New, Call It Antique, a store just outside of Tempe, in Booth R3. As a vendor herself, Baker knew the scene well and used her knowledge to create a market where a wide array of sellers feel comfortable.

Hosted in the back lot of Mesa East Foursquare Church at 9350 E Brown Road, this market is home to approximately 20 vendors every second Saturday of the month. They set up underneath tents and line the cement walkway with clothing racks and bins, drawing crowds and packing the street with cars.

Mint Market hosts a balanced number of vendors selling men’s and women’s clothing with an inclusive outlook on fashion for all. The community-driven message extends not just to its customers, but also to its vendors. Baker alternates the list of participants each month so that different local businesses are given the opportunity to sell their products.

There is no fee for attendance, unlike other markets, and dogs are welcome. Carpooling is encouraged, on account of the limited space.

“I have had my own vintage shop for about a year, and I always go to flea markets,” Baker said. “I fell in love with the community that it brought. I woke up one day and really wanted to start my own, so I found a spot and took a chance.”

The importance of markets like Baker’s lies in the emphasis placed on positive fashion practices and developing a safe space for local businesses to thrive. At the most recent event on April 8th, vendors from across Arizona gathered in one space, including Domecor Home, Desert Soul Designs, Honeymoon Vintage, Pass Forward, Y2K Everywear, and more.

When asked about what makes Mint Market distinct, April Noelle, owner of the Instagram account @thatmarketgirlaz, touched on what makes it unique.

“It’s all about a feeling,” Noelle said. “Most vintage markets are in Phoenix proper, which is great, but having a nice spot in the east valley is awesome. The Mint Market is free admission, well-advertised, and shares information that attendees want to see.”

Considering the amount of textile waste produced in the United States yearly, markets like these with a central goal to give items a second life are even more influential.

The owner of In Loving Memory Vintage, Fabia Lombardi, commented on the importance of second-hand clothing and feminine expression.

“It always starts with the energy surrounding whatever you’re trying to create,” said Lombardi. “The whole reason I started this was to show girls they could be cute and sustainable, so they do not feed into fast fashion just to follow the trends. You can find great pieces that will last forever.”

The Mint Market is still relatively new in comparison to some other well-established vintage events in Arizona, having started on September 10th, 2022. Because of its recent start, there are a few lingering critiques about the structure so far.

Most comments for improvement pertain to the current location. While parking is free and visitors do not have to worry about being ticketed, there is a limited number of spots available.

At the start, the Mint Market did not have a developed fan base, making the Mesa East Foursquare Church the perfect fit. However, a TikTok posted to the Mint Market’s official account in early February went viral, accumulating over 200,000 views. Since then, attendance has gone up significantly, and the available spots outside of the church and the back lots no longer meet the demand.

What truly distinguishes the Mint Market from other events in Arizona is the variety of participants selected, extending beyond sellers of vintage clothing. In the past, Baker has included other creative businesses or services like Sulley and Co. Permanent Bracelets, Fine Line Organics for flash sheet tattoos, and the Awake(Zen) coffee truck.

Because of this, the communal impact expands further than the local fashion scene.

“The community benefits from smaller, homegrown markets like these,” Noelle said. “Our local small business owners get a chance to get their product out there, grow their business and people can come together outdoors in our beautiful AZ weather.”

MINT MARKET SOCIALS

INSTA – @themintmarketaz

If you’re interested in what Mint Market does, check out their next market on Sept. 16!

Mia Milinovich is a junior at Barrett, the Honors College, studying English (Literature) and Journalism & Mass Communications. She enjoys writing, reading, listening to garage rock, and going to random, last-minute concerts.