This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

I’ve never been to a college campus quite like ASU before, but when applying, I only ever hoped for the best of outcomes for myself. I moved a week before everything shut down: schools, restaurants, malls and Target. I was desperate for friends, a new environment, support and empowerment. I found Her Campus when looking for clubs dedicated to feminism. And support is all I’ve received from the members and everyone involved. 

I applied as a staff editor without thinking twice. I knew I had never been on an e-board before, but I felt like this was the right opportunity to jump into something with both feet first. Quickly, I was welcomed by each and every girl on the board. I was put to the same standard and trusted like I was part of their team for forever. 

When given the opportunity and resources to apply for Senior Editor, I was unaware of how important it was to be in this position. Not just my personal experience, but how much of a team player I am. Working side-by-side with Mel, Bri, Marissa and everyone. Also working with authors on their articles and ensuring their voices are heard is beyond important to me. Helping build confidence and helping everyone build their profiles and portfolios will be something I will be thankful for. Being the empowerment that is second-hand passed on is important in the competitive world of journalism. 

Most importantly, I want to thank the previous editors before me that have inspired me to keep with it. The referrals that helped me into this position as well. Here’s to 2021, a new team, and a new position. Let’s get this party started! 

JP (they/them/theirs) is a graduate student at DePaul who enjoys reading books, playing guitar, and telling bad jokes. When they're not behind a book or getting a tan from their computer screen, catch them planning their next tattoo. Check their 'gram: @hanson.jp