Jannette Tablas ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Name: Jannette Tablas

Year: Senior

Major: English Linguistics and French with a TESOL certificate

Relationship Status: Taken

Hometown: Phoenix, AZ

What made you decide to come to ASU?

Since I was in 8th grade and all through high school, I’ve been a part of a program called Hispanic Mother-Daughter Program and I attended workshops at the Tempe campus with my mom to learn about how to prepare for college. Being familiar with the campus and knowing people that worked there just made me feel like I belonged. I didn’t feel like a lost freshman the first day of classes.

Are you in any clubs/activities?

I’m currently President of Las Hermanas de HMDP, an organization of alumni of the program I mentioned, general member of ASU’s French Club, and SPARKS. I’m currently looking to get a bit more involved with the Newman Center and any international student clubs there might be. If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know! 

Describe your ideal date.

My ideal date… Hmm. Well, it wouldn’t be in AZ, that’s for sure! Just kidding…sort of. It might sound cheesy but I’d like to take up the whole day to just hang out. Starting out with going grocery shopping at a farmer’s market, have a picnic with loads of fruit and French cheese at a park. Walking around a place I’m not too familiar with and discovering little places to eat (I really like food) and honestly, doing something that my date likes to do or would like to do, or teach me. I’m game for trying new things, even if they’re typically “not my thing.”

Do you have a favorite pickup line?

Oh, I have two: Bet I can make you hot. Tabasco, Valentina, Cholula, Jalapeño… feeling it? I may study semantics, but you are what gives meaning to my life. Wait! My third favorite: “Come here often?'” (laughs).

What are your favorite movies?

Oh man. I really love Amelie, all the Pride and Prejudice film adaptations (especially the Colin Firth one), Coco Avant Chanel, La Vie en Rose, and La Vita e Bella and a load of other foreign films. I’m also a sucker for rom-coms and anything with my husband James Marsden. The cheesier the better.

Do you have any hidden talents others may not know about you?

Some people might know, but I can curse/insult in at least 7 different languages, pray in 4. I can moonwalk. I can spell the longest word in English and I can write the reflection of my name with my left hand. Oh! And I can make French macaroons!

Who is your celebrity crush?

Well I think I mentioned my boo James Marsden but Shemar Moore, Eric Bana, and Orlando Bloom all have a place in my heart right next to him.

If given the chance, who would you trade places with for a day?

Anyone living in the countryside of southern France who has access to amazing food, great views and flower fields. And may I add, little stress?

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

If you are considering traveling or studying abroad, even the slightest, do it! It’s probably the best thing you’ll ever do in the world (pun acknowledged). I’ve done it twice, and I don’t feel that’s been enough!

Caroline Ortiz is currently a senior at Arizona State University majoring in English Literature with a minor in Film and Media Production. She co-founded the ASU Her Campus branch at her university in the spring of 2013 and is very happy to be a part of the Her Campus team! Apart from being involved with Her Campus, she is the Chief of Staff for ASU's Programming and Activities Board (PAB), a student run organization that strives to give their student body the best Sun Devil experience, Secretary of Las Hermanas of the Hispanic Mother Daughter Program, a club striving to provide a supportive and encouraging environment to University Latinas, a Trendspotter for MTV Insights, and was previously a Cosmopolitan Magazine Campus Representative! When she is not busy studying Literature (which requires reading endless amounts of Norton Editions) participating in PAB, Las Hermanas or crewing for a film, she enjoys her time off reading YA novels, magazine, shopping and brainstorming new and exciting things for HC ASU. Her ultimate goal is to move to a metropolitan city and become an Editor-in-Chief for a publishing house or crewing for a feature film!