Homecoming Nominee: Jessica Boehm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Her Campus ASU got the chance to sit down with Journalism and Mass Communication major, Jessica Boehm. We were simply blown away by her involvement and passion for ASU. In these past three years she’s been a Senior Leader for Devil Discover, a Community Assistant, a Senator for Barrett Honors College, was nominated for Homecoming Queen and met Al Roker from the Today show!

• Hometown: Chandler, AZ
  • Favorite movie: Moulin Rouge!
  • Celebrity Crush: Aaron Rogers of the Green Bay Packers

So I heard you’ve had quite a busy weekend.

Yes, busy weekend! I was planning on recovering this week but then I had to stay up for the Today show. I’ve gone 40 hours with no sleep, but it’s okay, because we got to be on the Today show. Al Roker was where we lived! It was crazy.

How was it like being part of this year’s Homecoming Court? Where you excited, nervous?

I was so excited. I love ASU so much and am so grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had through this university. This institution that I just idolize and adore, saying that they think I am an appropriate representation of them, was the biggest compliment I could ever receive. It was amazing. 

What’s your favorite memory from Homecoming, ever?

It was probably this year at the Lantern Walk; ASU’s oldest standing tradition. They had the seniors pass on their lanterns to the juniors and it was just a sweet idea [to have] on top of A Mountain. This year, we all got little candles, not real ones but little mechanical ones, and we walked up to the top of the mountain. There were probably a thousand students there, honestly. My parents and grandparents got to go and come see me. It was just magical, I can’t even explain it. I’ll be the first in my family to graduate from college so it was a huge moment for us all to take in.

What other activities are you involved in on campus?

I’m a Community Assistant – a CA. This year I have Cronkite freshman and it’s been so much fun to work with all the students. I’m also a Senior Leader for the Devil Discovery at Downtown, which is a group that encourages students living at Taylor Place to get out of the residence hall and into the community, to really know what Downtown has to offer. I was the Barrett Honors College Senator and got to see the political side of education. I’ve done lots of journalism related things since that’s my major, [like] the Cronkite News Service last semester, and Downtown Devil. I’m also an intern for the East Valley Tribune.

Wow, you’ve done so many things. How do you juggle school work and your internship at the same time?

It’s not always easy because it always seems like everything happens all at once (laughs). The biggest thing right now, because I’m in the Honors College, is the Bachelors-Masters combined program. Which are much more difficult than a regular course. I don’t know but I feel like when you really care about something, you will find a way to make sure you have appropriate time for it. Sometimes I don’t get sleep… But that’s okay!

What do you do during your free time? Or, rather, do you have any free time?

I do have free time every once in a while. It’s funny because through being a CA, part of my job is going to at the university events. But to me, that’s my free time. I’m always at the footall games. Any fun, social event going on Downtown, I’ll find a way to get to it. Other than that, I’m a big fan of politics, so I do a lot of reading and watching of that. I’m not the most athletic person in the world, like at all, but I’m trying to start a running schedule. I have a goal that I’m going to try and run a 10k in March! But the biggest thing I do on my free time is see my family. We’re huge Packers fans too. 

Do you have any plans after college?

I’m not sure, but in a good way. It’s exciting to realize that I can be anywhere in year a half. It can also be a little nerve-wrecking, but I definitely want to stay in Journalism. I’m completely wide open for whatever direction I get thrown in, so I’m not opposed to leaving the state. Wherever I can cover politics the best, and make the greatest impact, that’s where I want to be.

Caroline Ortiz is currently a senior at Arizona State University majoring in English Literature with a minor in Film and Media Production. She co-founded the ASU Her Campus branch at her university in the spring of 2013 and is very happy to be a part of the Her Campus team! Apart from being involved with Her Campus, she is the Chief of Staff for ASU's Programming and Activities Board (PAB), a student run organization that strives to give their student body the best Sun Devil experience, Secretary of Las Hermanas of the Hispanic Mother Daughter Program, a club striving to provide a supportive and encouraging environment to University Latinas, a Trendspotter for MTV Insights, and was previously a Cosmopolitan Magazine Campus Representative! When she is not busy studying Literature (which requires reading endless amounts of Norton Editions) participating in PAB, Las Hermanas or crewing for a film, she enjoys her time off reading YA novels, magazine, shopping and brainstorming new and exciting things for HC ASU. Her ultimate goal is to move to a metropolitan city and become an Editor-in-Chief for a publishing house or crewing for a feature film!