Home for the Holidays – What You Missed and What You Didn’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Going home for the holidays is the perfect break away from school. You don’t have to worry about school and just take a much-deserved break. You know the drill: “How are your grades? Why are you still single? Have you been staying away from the parties?” These nagging questions are expected but it’s ok, they’re your family and you’re just happy to finally see them again! But going home makes you realize just how much you missed at home while also getting to see what you really miss in college.

1. Missed: A warm, full course meal.

You try to be healthy like all the campus health signs tell you to do. You try to avoid the Freshman 15 everyone warned you about. You even try your best to take advantage of the free campus gym. But when the dining hall has nothing good, pizza or cereal sounds like a great dinner. College is a busy time that often involves grabbing a quick bite or heating up something. Plus, cooking for one is hard! It’s easy to skip the sides of pasta or rice because it’s a pain to have to cook the whole box when you just wanted a little side. But at home, meals are complete and always warm. 

Didn’t miss: Not having cheap and ready food surrounding you. There is probably not a hot dog stand around the corner that takes your dining dollars or restaurants around school that you’ve come to love and find yourself craving when you go home. 

2. Missed: Not feeling guilty eating all the snacks on the first day.

Snacks are definitely a luxury as a poor college student. So when you finally do buy some, you ration them so they last you a while. But at home, you can splurge all you want, especially around the holidays when there’s extra treats around.

Didn’t miss: Not having a  grocery store within walking distance to get more snacks.

3. Missed: Pet cuddles. Growing up with your pet and leaving for college is a heartbreaking time most colligiates go through. At home, you will get to hug and play with your old friend just like old times. It’s hard to beat the feeling of falling asleep next to your warm fluff-ball.

Growing up with your pet and leaving for college is a heartbreaking time most colligiates go through. At home, you will get to hug and play with your old friend just like old times. It’s hard to beat the feeling of falling asleep next to your warm fluff-ball.

Didn’t miss: Pet fur. On EVERYTHING.

It took so many wash cycles to finally rid your favorite black dress of white cat fur, but here it is again. Having fur on your clothes used to never phase you, but after not seeing it for a while, it will definitely stand out when you get back to college. 

4. Missed: A quiet room. There won’t be any neighbors blasting their loud music next door nor any roommates up all night studying. For the first time in a long time, you finally get to sleep in silence.

Didn’t miss: Not having you’re best friends around. Because mom’s not going to want to stay up with you until 3 a.m. watching Netflix.

So living on your own has its pros and cons. But even though you missed a lot, going home really makes you appreciative and proud that you live on your own.

I am a sophomore pursuing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.