Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall! Well… Kind of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

If you are anything like me, you are having a few problems accepting the fact that it is two weeks into November and we are still well into the 80 degree range here in Arizona. Every morning I wake up and head to my closet and I just stand there for a good five to ten minutes analyzing every blouse to pant (and everything in between) pairing my budget has provided for me over the years. I usually walk away frustrated, without having come to a conclusion. My brain is on winter mode, but the weather is telling me something different. All I have wanted to do for the past two months is break out my new winter wear, but I have yet to be able to. Thank you for that Arizona. With months of feeling frustrated and confused, I have accepted that I cannot change the weather, so I will have to make do. I like to think I have found a happy medium between my craving for winter wear and the Arizona sun, which I do love, but when it’s appropriate in the right month. Here are my helpful tips on how to start incorporating your 2013 fall must haves into your everyday wear, without suffocating yourself in this sweltering desert heat. 

1. Beanies

Beanies are not only for boys anymore, but are becoming a more prominent staple in the wardrobes of every female. Ladies, if you haven’t already, invest in a few beanies. They come in every color you could imagine. Not only are beanies comfortable and warm, they add spunk and personality to any outfit. Pair a beanie with shorts and a top during the awkward transitional stage between summer and fall, and once it cools down, swap those shorts for some leggings or jeans. A beanie will go with virtually any outfit you pair it with! Oh and did I mention how adorable they look? My outlook on this fall must have: Gotta catch them all.

2. Wax Coated Jeans

Now, anything coated in wax may seem like a strange fashion trend, but trust me, these jeans are to die for! Wax coated denim has been around for quite some time but has become all the rage this fall and is a must have. I can say that my favorite pairs are the plum and emerald colored denim. How could you not fall in love with them? Pair with a sheer blouse and gladiator sandals and you are good to go for the day. Once the temperature drops, add a scarf or a light jacket and you will be able to hit the town looking like nothing short of your favorite fashion forward celebrity. 

3. Leather

Leather… Do not even get me started on leather. Leather has been and will always be one of my must have fall necessities. Between my rockstar phase and my prep school phase (mind you I definitely went to a public school), leather has always been there for me. Mark my words: When I die, I will be cradling my black leather leggings. Leather is timeless and classic. You can never go wrong! During those scorching summer months, leather is a bit more difficult to wear, but with the weather cooling down, there is no excuse. Pleated leather skirts are all the rage this year. Pair your skirt with a cute crop top, some sandals or pumps, and you are set! When the nighttime breeze comes rolling in, reach for your knee high socks and boots to pair with your ensemble or add a chunky sweater to the mix. Although leather skirts are the hot leather trend of the season, do not forget about your leather jackets and leggings. These are timeless pieces that will never go out of style. No matter what leather piece you decide to wear, trust me when I say you will never turn back.

4. Plaid

Plaid is a trend that has been around for quite a few years now and it is more apparent this year than ever! From pants, to jackets, to the timeless flannel, you can never go wrong! Over sized plaid flannels seem to be the favorite of the plaid family this year. I hoped on this trend right away not only because of how fashion forward it is, but because of how comfortable it is! Pair with jean shorts and your favorite converse or swap the shorts for leggings and throw your favorite chunky sweater over your flannel when the sun goes down. My secret to finding the perfect flannel, hit up the men’s section of your favorite store. I recently just bought the perfect red and blue flannel from the men’s section at H&M and I have fallen in love. Men’s flannels fit baggier on us women and tend to be made out of a thicker material. This helps when searching for the perfect baggy fit and there is no doubt that it will keep you warm in the winter! I may have even raided my brother’s closet for some plaid flannels… It was necessary okay! But lets just keep that between us so he doesn’t find out. 

5. Velvet

Velvet is easily the trend I am most looking forward to. I have never dug into this realm of fashion and I could not be more excited to try it out! Seen across the runways, velvet is coming in and it is coming in hot. How could you not be excited about this? Velvet not only makes a statement, but it is also comfortable. These may be a bit on the hotter side so I suggest reserving the velvet trend for the night time, but let’s be hoenst, it’s not like we wear the same thing all day long anyways. This is the perfect piece to differentiate you from the next girl while you are parading down Mill. Pair velvet leggings with a blouse and pumps and you are ready to take on the town. Leggings are just not for you? Try a velvet dress. The options are endless and will leave you feeling like a rockstar. Okay, yes, I said earlier it was a phase and by that I meant maybe somedays I am still going through my rockstar phase… Now, please excuse me while I go grab a pair of these red velvet leggings for myself. 

Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.