This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.
This article is not sponsored by Starbucks, and all opinions and recommendations are my own.

It’s 10:59 pm and you’re stressed to finish five assignments that you’ve been putting off for a week even though you were well aware of the impending midnight deadlines. You turn to your side and what is there to accompany you, fueling your stress and adrenaline? COFFEE. Whether you’ve started drinking coffee in highschool, or are completely new to the experience, it will definitely be something you’ll need to survive (I promise I’m not being dramatic). Especially as an ASU college student, a full night’s rest is never guaranteed. Thankfully there’s always a Starbucks near the Downtown Phoenix and Tempe campuses, so here are my recommendations for go-to caffeinated beverages. I will also recommend some at home recipes because, to be honest, when it’s really late at night it’s just easier to make it yourself.

Iced Caramel Macchiato

I like this drink because it’s sweet but not too sweet and tastes great at any time of day. This drink is mostly espresso, milk of your choice, vanilla syrup, and caramel drizzle on top. This one is a go-to for me for everyday work and assignments when I am on campus. I also like how it’s not made of too many espresso shots, so it gives me just about the right amount of caffeine without making me feel more stressed or jittery. 

Iced Chai Tea Latte with Pumpkin Cold Foam 

I love this one because it tastes so much like fall and is around $5.30 for a venti, which isn’t too bad since other drinks can cost around the same for just a grande. I like this one because of the taste of fall spices. According to Starbucks.com, the Chai Tea Latte is “Black tea infused with cinnamon, clove, and other warming spices [which] are combined with milk and ice for the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.” Black tea does have a lower caffeine amount than the typical espresso shots used in regular coffee, but according to a healthline.com article “the high caffeine content of coffee may give you a quick energy boost, whereas the combination of caffeine and L-theanine in black tea offers a more gradual increase in energy.” The nice thing about this is that you’re less likely to get a caffeine crash with black tea, which is great if you need a sustained amount of energy for the course of a couple hours. The iced Chai Tea Latte with the pumpkin cold foam does taste so much like fall without an overly pumpkin-y taste. 

Iced Blonde Vanilla Latte 

This one’s pretty basic but I personally don’t think you can go wrong with an iced blonde vanilla latte because it isn’t bitter, is on the sweeter side, and works for any time of day. This isn’t my go to drink, but I do know for some it is their go to. So if you’re new to iced coffee or are a new coffee drinker in general, I recommend this one.  

Hot White Mocha Latte 

Freshman year this was my go-to drink (especially during the fall) because it pairs nicely with the cool weather. This drink is also pretty strong and not too sweet so I always find myself accomplishing a lot of assignments with this drink. So if you don’t like super sweet coffees than this one’s for you.

Hot Peppermint Mocha Latte 

This one is a seasonal drink, but I love drinking it during late fall and early winter. This is definitely a finals week drink for me because according to loughlin.org, “Various studies have shown that peppermint helps a person focus under test taking or any activity requiring concentration. Peppermint has been found to increase alertness and lower stress.”

Honorable Mention: Peppermint Hot Chocolate

This one’s not a coffee but it’s a go-to for studying because peppermint is great for memory and studying. This drink is great if you want to be more alert, awake, and concentrated without the headache that a coffee crash may bring. Surprisingly, this one  isn’t seasonal so you can get it year-round. But yes, this is definitely an evening drink: best for late nights spent studying before exams and presentations.

DIY Cold Brew 

A lot of what I have learned about DIY cold brew has been from Tik Tok, but in general all you need to make cold brew is coffee grounds of your choice and water. You put this in the fridge overnight and the next night you use a strainer or coffee filter to strain out the coffee grounds. Or, if you put the coffee grounds in a coffee filter, then you can close the top with a twist tie or rubber band to create steeped pouches that you can leave in the water overnight and take out in the morning. Regardless of which method you use to make cold brew, all you have to do the next morning is just add ice, cold brew, a milk or non-dairy milk option of your choice,  any syrup or creamer of your choice, and half-and-half if you choose. There you have it, any latte flavored beverage to your liking! Here are two short Tik Toks to walk you through the process.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJyK5N65/

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJyK2q6u/

Overall, I hope this article helps.There’s definitely a coffee drink out there for everyone; it just comes down to your personal flavor preferences and your preferences in regard to the strength of the coffee drink. So if you find yourself feeling groggy and in need of an energy boost, try new Starbucks coffee drinks or practice some of these new at-home recipes.

Angel Jimenez studies Journalism at Arizona State University with a minor in Studio Art. She is passionate about storytelling and pays great attention to her work. Angel's other hobbies include creating art. In her free time, she loves to drink a cup of coffee or hot chocolate with her friends.