This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

It’s election year and while some of us are familiar with everything that goes into such a process, there are others who are voting for the first time. Here’s a checklist to help you better understand what you can expect.

DO YOU KNOW YOUR PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES?

One of the most important things when it comes to voting is knowing who the candidates are and what they wish to accomplish during their presidency. By familiarizing yourself with who’s running, it’ll give you a better idea on who you want to vote for. Additionally, you should always vote for someone who has opinions that you agree with. 

ARE YOU REGISTERED TO VOTE?

As a United States citizen, you are granted the right to vote. However, before choosing to invoke this right, you must register to vote in the state of your current residence- if you’re already registered in a different state, you must re-register in the state you’ll be voting in. It’s also important to keep in mind that each state has a different process for registering and voting. For information on how to vote in your state, check out Rock the Vote.

DO YOU KNOW WHERE TO GO?

With elections being until November, the place where you vote (polling place) varies until at least 20 days before election day. However, each state and city provide a variety of locations that are based on voter’s locations. Once you are registered to vote, the state or your local election office will assign you a polling place which can’t be changed unless you formally update your address on your voter registration. 

If your state allows you to vote by mail or online, however, then there’s no need for travel. For this process just mail your ballot or submit your online vote at least 15 days prior to election day depending on your state.

KEY DATES

Ready to follow along? Here are some of the 2024 Presidential Election key dates:

• January 15, 2024 – Iowa Republican presidential caucuses
  • January 23, 2024 – New Hampshire Republican presidential primary election
  • February 3, 2024 – South Carolina Democratic presidential primary election
  • February 6, 2024 – Nevada Democratic presidential primary election
  • February 8, 2024 – Nevada Republican presidential caucuses and Virgin Island Republican presidential caucuses
  • February 24, 2024 – South Carolina Republican presidential primary election
  • February 27, 2024 – Michigan presidential primary election
  • March 5, 2024 – Super Tuesday
  • March 12, 2024 – March 12 primaries
  • March 19, 2024 – March 19 primaries
  • March 23, 2024 – March 23 primaries
  • July 15-18, 2024 – Republican National Convention
  • August 19-22, 2024 – Democratic National Convention
  • September 16, 2024 – General election presidential debate
  • September 25, 2024 – Vice presidential debate
  • October 1 & 9, 2024 – General election presidential debate
  • November 5, 2024 – Election Day
Leslie Boebinger is a Health Care Admin & Policy major at Arizona State University. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or working as Editor-in-Chief of The Spark Newsletter, you can find her at home binge-watching reality TV or listening to all kinds of music.