Campus Cutie: Alejandra Armstrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Name: Alejandra Armstrong

Major: Journalism

Relationship status: I’m dating my very own campus cutie!

Hometown: Phoenix, Arizona

Why did you choose your major?

I’ve always loved writing and there’s nothing more exciting than being a part of the ever-changing journalism and media industry.

Are you involved in any extra curricular activities or clubs around campus?

I write for the Downtown Devil– a publication that delivers news for the the community of downtown Phoenix and I have an awesome internship with EMMA Magazine.

Are you doing anything exciting this semester?

I am! I am studying abroad in Paris, France. My program starts later than most, so I’m not leaving until February and I come back in June. In the meantime, I am helping my fellow ASU Dance Marathon executives prepare for the big day on February 22.

What do you do with the ASU Dance Marathon?

ASU Dance Marathon is a party with a purpose. Participants devote 12 hours to standing for kids who can’t, as well as fundraise for the Phoenix Children’s Hospital. Last year was ASU’s first ever Dance Marathon and we raised over $58,000 dollars for the Phoenix Children’s Hospital and had over 1,200 students register.

A friend of mine last year told me he was starting ASU Dance Marathon because he was inspired by other schools in the Midwest and South that have dance marathons with huge presences and traditions. I fell in love with the idea of creating a pan-campus charity event for the biggest university in the nation. I mean, come on, how does that not sound awesome? From there, I was the Dance Morale and Management Chair and I serve under the same title this year. My job is to recruit a team of Morale Captains who will help keep spirit up at the marathon and to choreograph the morale dance–a line dance that all participants of dance marathon learn and preform at the end of every hour of the marathon. I even choreographed a flash mob last year!

[The] Dance Marathon is a great way to be a direct change into someone’s life and to feel a bond with fellow students at your school. With the money raised, children with disabilities and illness, some terminal, are assured they are receiving the best care, treatment and support at Phoenix Children’s Hospital. 

Is there anything you want to accomplish before graduation?

I really hope to continue working with ASU Dance Marathon to help the lives of others and to create my own online magazine for my honors thesis project.

Describe your ideal date:

I love going out and trying new restaurants.

Favorite food?

Bread.

Favorite movie?

Does Beyoncé’s visual album count?

Celebrity crush?

Jon Hamm.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I do a great rendition of “Part of Your World” from The Little Mermaid.

What’s your biggest pet peeve?

When people drag their feet when they walk.

What are some of your hobbies?

I love to dance (tap, jazz, ballet, hip-hop) and I’d like to say I do that in my spare time, but I actually don’t so much. In my spare time I ended up watching a lot of movies.

Who or what is your biggest influence and why?

My friends and family. I know some really smart, talented people and I think they all push me to try my best in everything.

My name is Alejandra Guillen and I am a junior at Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and at Barrett, the Honors College. As most people do, I enjoy sleep, food (especially of the breakfast, gravy and meat varieties), and Ryan Gosling.