Campus Celebrity: Austen Shipley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Name: Austen Shipley

Major: Business Management (Entrepreneurship)

Expected Graduation date: May 2016

Relationship Status: It’s complicated (with Marissa Fullford

What are you involved in at school?

I am the executive vice president of the Business School Council, an organization that helps promote student involvement within the business school. I am a member of Delta Sigma Pi, a professional business fraternity. If you would have asked me last year, I would have told you that I was a captain of the ASU Quidditch team, I guess that’s kinda rad. 

Do you have a job?

I am currently a Community Assistant in Hassy. So far, none of my decorations have been ripped down so fingers crossed on that one.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I mean obviously long walks on the beach, candle lit picnics, and day trips on my yacht would be the ideal answer here. Aside from all of that cool stuff, I love to explore; whether it’s hiking in the mountains, finding cool spots within a city, or simply trying new things. I love going to coffee shops, and I especially love finding new ones to go to. Netflix. That’s always getting my free time. You might see me on the volleyball court from time to time. Most of all, I love music. Whether it is listening to music, singing (I LOVE singing, ask anyone), or playing guitar, music is definitely a passion of mine.

Favorite food?

This is easy – Mac n’ Cheese. Yeah it’s simple, but when it’s made right, it’s the key to my heart.

Any celebrity crush(es)?

Ahh there are so many. Natalie Dormer, Emilia Clarke… Oh, I LOVE Emma Stone, she is a goddess! But I kinda wish I could be Joseph Gordon-Levitt, so I guess you can say that’s a man crush. 

Describe your ideal date.

It probably wouldn’t be a first date unless she was up for it. But I have always wanted to go hiking for a date and have a picnic set up at the top. Maybe a fire to roast some s’mores, preferably at night so there would be some stars out. No, maybe Arizona isn’t ideal for this date, but someday I’ll make it happen. 

Do you have any super secret talents?

It’s weird, but I have hidden lower body strength for days; yes, for days. When a song comes on that says “How Low,” I can go low. Like, really low. 

What are your plans for after graduation?

After my undergrad, I want to go to graduate school either on the East Coast or in the Pacific Northwest. Although I am in business now, I want to go into higher education. My goal is to eventually be a Dean of a school or even the next Michael Crow.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In 10 years, I hope to be starting a family if I hadn’t already done so by then. Family is so important to me, so to have one of my own is the ultimate dream. In 10 years, I most likely will be looking to settle down in Colorado. I think I am just so tired of the desert scene (definitely not tired of the dessert scene) that I am ready to move somewhere cold. Wherever I do end up, it won’t matter as long as I am happy.

What’s your favorite memory at ASU so far?

Last year, my friend Eunice and I would get together and make covers of songs and slap them up on YouTube. We decided to test out our skills on Mill Avenue one day. After a few songs this guy who appeared to be homeless walked up to us and starts shifting through his belongings. After a few awkward minutes of this, he looks up at us, tells us that we sound great, and drops a dollar in my guitar case. I wanted to give the dollar back, of course, but I felt so honored by his gesture. 

Last, but not least, if you could get ice cream with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

First name that comes to mind is NPH, Neil Patrick Harris. He is hilarious and such a genuine guy. I bet ice cream with him would be a blast!

My name is Alejandra Guillen and I am a junior at Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication and at Barrett, the Honors College. As most people do, I enjoy sleep, food (especially of the breakfast, gravy and meat varieties), and Ryan Gosling.