ASU Celebrity Kelsey Hess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Name: Kelsey Hess

Major: Journalism and Mass Communication

Expected Graduation: 2017

Kelsey Hess is a Sophomore at ASU and has already become very involved at school. Intern, cook, DJ, be a published writer… Kelsey has done it all. Recently, she was on the beach during a freak lightning storm. Being the journalist she is, Kelsey wrote a story about it. The story was picked up by several well-known publications making her this week’s ASU Campus Celebrity. 

Read her article here!

An article of yours was featured on the Washington Post.  What can you tell us about that?

“I spent my summer working for a great website called Zocalo Public Square as a part of their sustainability journalism fellowship. One weekend I went to the beach with a few friends when the whole lightning situation went down. When I came into the offices that Monday and talked to the editors, we agreed that it could make for a pretty crazy piece. That evening it was posted onto their website and was syndicated to The Jewish Journal, The Los Angeles Register, The Orange County Register and The Washington Post.”

How else are you involved at the Cronkite School?

“I’m doing a few things right now. I’m a Breaking News Intern for The Arizona Republic, which is a great opportunity that I got through The Cronkite School. I spend my Mondays and Wednesdays working there. I’m also a USGD Senator and chair of the University Affairs committee, so I’m excited to see what we accomplish this year. And I am in my second semester of hosting my jazz show on Tuesdays at 2 p.m., All That Jazz, for ASU’s Alternative radio station The Blaze 1330 AM.”

What advice can you give to people who want to get their work published?

“I wouldn’t know. The people I’ve worked for in my internships have helped me to produce some really neat content, and I’m definitely thankful for that. Showing loyalty and that you love a company, even as an intern, is something that generally will bring in positive results. If your end game is to get published, then develop relationships with people who will help you get there.”

Who is your journalistic role model?

“Lara Logan, Matt Taibbi, Michael Hastings, Joseph Mitchell… there’s too many.”

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“I don’t want to jinx anything!”

What do you do for fun when you’re not on your way to becoming a famous journalist?

“Oh gosh. I usually just hang out with my friends and whatnot. I’ve been getting into cooking a bit ever since I moved into my apartment this year, I just made a pretty decent tomato sauce with tofu in it last night. It’s not very impressive, but it tasted alright!”

I am a sophomore pursuing a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.