burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

5 Ways to Change Up Your Style for the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Welcome to the new decade! Is one of your resolutions for the year to be more creative with your style? As we all know, it can be difficult to keep our resolutions as the year goes on. But don’t worry! If you’re starting to feel like giving up, here are a couple of ways to keep your resolutions going strong and to keep you looking cute!

Scarves

We all know that the number one tip for fashion is to accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Since you already know that, I want to give out some advice about my personal favorite accessory: the scarf. I’m not talking about the normal long scarf you’re thinking of, I mean the smaller one (meant less for warmth and more for fashion). I love that they’re so versatile. I wear mine three ways: a headband, a ponytail tie, or an ascot (or necktie). Each of these scarf styles can change your entire look and be a great way to add more color or a pattern to your fit!

Mix Patterns

This one is easier said than done. It can be daunting to mix prints–Do these really go together? Here are some guidelines (not rules!) to keep in mind when mixing patterns. First, keep your color palette in mind, and make sure that your patterns are color complimentary. Second, change the size of the pattern. If one pattern is very dainty, it might pair well with a larger pattern with more open space. Lastly, if you still can’t tell if those patterns are a real pair, remember that the most important opinion is your own. When I was in high school I wore striped shirts with plaid flannels all the time. While I’d probably go for a different look now, it was something I enjoyed and felt confident in at the time.

Tights

Tights are a great way to elevate your look! Even if it’s not too cold out, normally fashion tights are pretty thin and you can keep wearing them into the springtime without sweating. There are so many cute tights out there, you can find some great pairs to compliment all of your looks! A pair of solid tights can add a pop of color while a pair of patterned tights can make a super-basic outfit look stellar. 

Layer

Layering is also not as easy as it might look. While layering is sometimes essential for warmth, we want to focus the aesthetic benefit of adding, say, a top.. I love wearing a graphic tee over a mock neck shirt. Or when it gets warmer, pair a lace cami over a short sleeve. At the end of the day, each top is cute on its own, but be creative to see if wearing two together can make the outfit twice as cute!

Ditch the Denim

Do you find yourself reaching for the same trusty pair of high-waisted jeans every day? It’s all good, they’re so versatile! But sometimes they can be a crutch. You might be bypassing super cute trousers or skirts in your closet to wear the same jeans over and over. Take a break from the denim and give your other bottoms time to shine! Changing up just one part of your outfit can make a really big change for your whole look. 

In the end, the most important part of your style is how you feel in it! Keep up with your resolutions but stay true to yourself. Happy styling!

Madeline is a junior studying English at Arizona State University. She was raised in California but now calls Arizona home. Some of her hobbies are reading, writing, and taking really long walks through parks with beautiful scenery.