This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I am beyond ready for the upcoming fall season–cool weather, Halloween, pumpkin-flavored everything, and, on top of all that, the fall fashion trends that are going to take over this season. These items are must-haves for your fall/winter wardrobe and are staples that you’ll be able to wear again next year. 

Let’s start with shoes. You can never go wrong with a chunky bootie, from a stylish chelsea boot to a more edgy combat boot, both are here to stay. You can style these with jeans or elevate them with pleated pants or a skirt and some tights. Dr. Marten’s makes a variety of styles of high-quality boots perfect for this season. You can always opt to buy them on an online second-hand website, such as Poshmark, Mercari, or Depop since they are a bit pricey. H&M also makes a ton of great dupes for designer shoes, so I would check that out too!

Next is the infamous shacket. And you may be wondering, what is a shacket? It’s a combination of a shirt and a jacket. Shackets are optimal for layering and adding a bit of color, texture and pattern to any outfit. It’s so easy to take any basic outfit and spice it up by throwing on a shacket and leaving it unbuttoned to make the outfit a bit more interesting. Some places to find shackets are H&M, Zara, and ASOS, however, almost any clothing retail store will have them since they are trending. 

Staying on the topic of outerwear, another trend this fall that’s here to stay is oversized blazers. These instantly add an element of class and sophistication to any outfit. I’ve been loving both solid colors as well as the classic houndstooth and plaid patterns too. You can style these with existing clothes you have, such as straight-leg jeans, trousers or pleated skirts to go for a more preppy look. Two-piece sets are also everywhere, so don’t be afraid to wear matching blazers and pants this season as well. Once again, you can find these almost anywhere, but I’d recommend Zara, Boohoo, Nasty Gal, and ASOS. 

Next, we have sweater vests, which already had their moment last fall, but they’re back and here to stay. I love sweater vests because you can go oversized or cropped and style them with long sleeves, a t-shirt, or even nothing underneath to better suit the weather and occasion. I personally love a cropped sweater vest and mini skirt. However, if you like a more casual and oversized look, then I’d opt for some looser jeans and an oversized sweater vest with a long-sleeved button-down layered underneath. If you want to opt for something a bit more wearable, then I’d go for a solid color with more subtle knit work. While you can definitely find some great options at H&M and ASOS, I’d also recommend checking out your local thrift store.

Last, but certainly not least: the classic trouser pant. This is probably my favorite clothing item this season because it’s so versatile and a bit more androgynous. I absolutely love all the prints I’ve been seeing, like plaid and houndstooth, because it gives you a break from wearing regular denim jeans. But, if you like to stay away from patterns, solid colors are always a must-have too. I’d definitely be on the lookout for trousers in the colors cobalt blue, sage green, dark brown, terracotta, and tan this season. Like I said earlier, these pair nicely with a matching blazer, but you can also feel free to tuck in a chunky sweater or wear them with a t-shirt and a shacket layered on top. Some places you can find trendy trousers are Pretty Little Thing, Princess Polly, H&M, Zara, and ASOS.

20 years old majoring in digital and integrated marketing communications with a minor in fashion at ASU. Loves all things fashion, beauty, art, and travel related.