21st Birthday Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Turning 21 is a huge milestone in the life of a college student. Whether you are eagerly awaiting your newfound privilege to buy alcohol or not, 21 comes with a feeling of accomplishment. Even if you don’t plan on drinking, now it’s because you don’t WANT to, not because you CAN’T. If you do decide to hit the bars to celebrate your birthday, here are some tips to make the night fun and memorable.

Do: Wear a tiara. Or something else that distinguishes you as the birthday girl. People will want to buy you drinks if it is your birthday, so make it known!

Don’t: Feel like you have to get drunk, or even drink at all, if you don’t want to. It is YOUR day, and you should be yourself. If you would rather just have dinner with friends, that’s your prerogative. Your body is YOUR body and no one other than you can control what you drink. If you are only drinking because of peer pressure, you need to stand up and take control.

Do: Ask if the places you go to have a birthday special. Many bars will give a free drink or shot to you on your birthday, but you or your friends have to ask for it!

Don’t: Go out with guys if you are single. Guys in bars won’t approach you if they think that the guy you are talking to is your boyfriend. Use your birthday to make fun memories with your girl friends, and have stories to tell about the guys you met out on the town later.

Do: Take pictures of being carded for the first time. Sure, it’s cheesy, but it is a fun moment that you will be happy you documented.

Don’t: Go somewhere that caters to a different crowd than you are looking for. There is a time and place for piano bars, but your birthday night is not one of them.

Do: Go with friends that are older, and make sure someone in your group is sober. At a time when you are excited and your decision-making skills are not at their finest, it can never hurt to be with someone who has their wits about them.

Don’t: Drink anything that you did not see being made. If someone wants to buy you a drink, make sure you tell the bartender yourself what you want, and watch them make it.

Do: Know the names of a few drinks that you would like to order before you go out. That way, if someone asks what you want at the bar, you have an answer quickly and don’t have to just blankly stare and say, “Whatever is good here.” For a list of some ideas of drinks, click here.

Don’t: Feel like just because a guy bought you a drink that you have to spend time with him. Trust your instincts (or sober buddy) when it comes to who you talk to.

Do: Eat before and after. Especially if you are new to drinking, you will feel much better if you don’t drink or go to bed on an empty stomach.

Don’t: Be afraid to communicate if you don’t feel well. There is no shame in ordering water at a bar. In fact, it is a smart idea to follow each alcoholic drink with a non-alcoholic one.

Do: Remember your night. You only get one 21st birthday, and you will want to share the stories for years to come.

Don’t: Break the law. Even though you are 21 now, you still need to make careful decisions. Drinking and driving and supplying alcohol to minors can lead to charges that can ruin your future plans, all because of one mistake. 

Corina is a current junior at Arizona State University, studying Journalism and Human Communication. She enjoys writing, sports, reading, and spending time with her lionhead rabbit, Dusty.
Her Campus at ASU, is proud to produce content by powerful young women for women.