This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited By Lasya Adiraj

So, here you are, right in the middle of a life you didn’t ask for, with no memory of what you were before this or what you will be after. It’s most unnerving to imagine that all of this is for nothing, an insignificant occurrence on an obscure rock floating in the universe. You see, being an intelligent life form has a downside too. The downside of seeking meaning. Human beings can’t just eat, sleep and be merry like the animals. There exists an emptiness and struggle within. Even after having all the facilities and comforts one could possibly want, the void within ceaselessly consumes you. You suppress this until it stares you in the face. The next moment – the show is ending, the curtains are coming to a close – you are about to die. It is at this moment that something within you succumbs, it brings forth the suppressed pain. Only if you are lucky, you smile and leave your mortal body in bliss. For most people, death is the cessation of all pain and yet the most painful. Let’s try to understand what makes life worth living and how to lead a life which is successful to that end. 

In order to understand what the purpose of life is, one needs to first understand oneself. An enquiry into the nature of the self will open the gateway to understanding the self’s situation. This enquiry is the substance of all spiritual traditions all over the world. All the noted mystics, saints and prophets have hinted at this fundamental enquiry. Indian seers concluded that the enquiry of the self puts an end to all other enquiries and provides one with ultimate knowledge. It is as if one was asleep and has now awakened to their reality. The self-realized person treats the waking world as if it was a dream. Therefore, all the dualities and conflicts that plague a normal person, don’t touch the sage who is firmly established in his own self. A spiritually inclined individual considers organized religions to be a means rather than an end in themselves. The end is the culmination of all efforts, the realization of the self. 

It is safe to say that the purpose of human life is to achieve this realization of the self. This conclusion is backed up by most traditions which accept this notion. The pursuit of wealth, fame, happiness, love or anything else confined to the material universe is effectively futile. Yes, one needs to maintain oneself and those one is responsible for, by seeking these material goals. However, the purpose of life is only achieved when these worldly pursuits aid in the achievement of self realization.

The epidemic of depression and hopelessness that has befallen most humans today is due to a loss of purpose. One’s entire life is effectively useless unless it is utilised for the purpose of self realization. However, those stuck in the quagmire of material desires and tendencies don’t even know their purpose, let alone the tedious task of actually fulfilling it. Therefore, it is important to seriously examine one’s position in life. This self examination can truly go a long way in making concrete efforts towards the goal of self realization. It is difficult to digest this but all of human life and society is aimlessly wandering to meet a cliff. This cliff will ensure one never really understands the truth and always remains a slave to one’s own weaknesses. 

Remember that this apparent rejection of material pleasures is to obtain the greatest pleasure of self realization. It is not possible to experience self realization without relinquishing our material desires, however, it is perfectly possible for a self-realized soul to exist in the material world. The status of such a soul is like the lotus leaf, it stays amidst water but is not wet. The enlightened soul is not subject to the fetters of material existence. Such a soul is truly living, say the scriptures. Those who suffer in the material world without making any efforts for spiritual upliftment are verily dead, even though they may appear to be living.  

The supposed progress and fulfilment that is to be had in this material world is like slow poison. One needs to wake up while there is still time. One needs to answer the call of one’s soul which is yearning for a reunion with its original nature. Pained by the material tendencies, the soul constantly seeks to abide by its original non dual nature. It is the ego which denies the soul this release. Stop chasing material desires and just be, be with yourself. There shall be nothing you will want after you come to know your true nature. Renounce this slumber of many births and awaken. Awaken to the world as an enlightened being. 

Life’s purpose is quite clear, it’s just a question of action. Most people do a great disservice to none but themselves by wasting their lives. I hope you will not make the same mistake again. The time is neigh, seize this very opportunity and without any concern for future outcomes, proceed to make your life a success. 

Srijay Raj

Ashoka '23

I am interested in spirituality, music, films and politics.
Mehak Vohra

Ashoka '21

professional procrastinator.