Career

Unveiling the Stars: Indian Women in STEM 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

I am just a young girl, but I am full of dreams, 

I am just a young girl, but I am hopeful.

I am just a young girl, but I am brimming with curiosity.

I am not just a young girl, I am an amalgamation of the extraordinary women who came before me.

I am a young girl, weaving my dreams into the tapestry of their achievements.

Today, I want to take you on a journey through the fascinating world of Indian Women in STEM. These extraordinary women have not only shaped the course of science and technology but also taught me valuable lessons about perseverance and courage. Their stories ignite a spark within me, reminding me that I, too, can dream big and reach for the stars.

In a world where gender stereotypes often define our paths, it’s essential to showcase the remarkable stories of these Indian women who have left an indelible mark on STEM fields. Their achievements demonstrate the boundless potential of women in the sciences and underline the importance of encouraging young girls to explore STEM.

Dr. Indira Hinduja: The Pioneer of In Vitro Fertilization in India

Imagine having the power to help people build families! Dr. Indira Hinduja, a gynecologist and obstetrician, achieved just that. She pioneered in vitro fertilization in India, giving hope to countless couples struggling with infertility. Dr. Hinduja’s work reminds me that science can bring joy and hope to people’s lives, and women are at the forefront of these breakthroughs.

Dr. Tessy Thomas: The Missile Woman of India

My eyes light up when I hear about Dr. Tessy Thomas, the “Missile Woman of India.” She played a crucial role in developing India’s missile technology. Her achievements break stereotypes and show that women are as capable as men in fields like aerospace and defense. Dr. Thomas’s story proves that science knows no gender boundaries.

Kalpana Chawla: The Starry Voyager

Kalpana Chawla, an astronaut, a she-ero! She was the first Indian-born woman in space. Her journey inspires me to reach for the stars (literally)  and never let anything hold me back. Kalpana Chawla’s story teaches me that even the sky is not the limit for a girl with dreams and determination.

Gagandeep Kang: The Microbiologist Extraordinaire

Dr. Gagandeep Kang’s work in microbiology is a testament to how science can change the world. Her research on infectious diseases is like a puzzle that she solves to save lives. Dr. Kang reminds me that science can be exciting, and there are no barriers to what a girl can achieve in the lab.

Dr. Anita Sengupta: The Mars Explorer

Dr. Anita Sengupta’s journey from India to NASA is like a thrilling adventure story. She worked on Mars exploration missions, showing me that science can take you to places you’ve never even dreamt of. Her story fuels my imagination and makes me want to explore the unknown.

The stories of these incredible Indian women in STEM are not just about their achievements but also the lessons they teach us. They show that:

• Dreams Know No Gender: These women dared to dream big, breaking through gender stereotypes and societal expectations. They inspire me to set my own ambitious goals and believe in myself.
  • Perseverance Pays Off: Their journeys were filled with challenges and obstacles, but they never gave up. Dr. Hinduja, Dr. Thomas, Kalpana Chawla, Dr. Kang, and Dr. Sengupta’s resilience is a valuable lesson for me when faced with difficulties.
  • Mentorship Matters: Many of these women had mentors and role models who supported them along the way. Their stories highlight the importance of mentorship in helping young girls like me pursue careers in STEM.
  • Women Can Lead: These women achieved leadership positions in male-dominated fields, showing that women can lead and inspire others to follow in their footsteps.
  • STEM is Fun: Through their work, these women make science, technology, engineering, and mathematics look exciting and fun. They show me that STEM fields are not only important but also captivating.

As I learn about these women, I realise that the world of STEM is vast and filled with opportunities. I can be a biologist, a computer programmer, a chemist, or an engineer or anything else really, the world is my oyster! These women’s stories encourage me to explore my interests, ask questions, and dive into the world of science with enthusiasm.

It’s essential to understand that the world needs more girls in STEM. Our diverse perspectives and fresh ideas can drive innovation and solve critical global challenges. We should be encouraged to explore, experiment, and embrace STEM without fear or hesitation.

So, to all the young girls like me, I want to say, don’t be afraid to dream big. Be curious, ask questions, and believe in yourself. The stories of these remarkable Indian women in STEM prove that you can reach for the stars and achieve your dreams.

One day, your story might be the one inspiring the next generation of young girls in STEM.

Together, let’s unveil the stars.

Yours, in wonder and curiosity,

A young girl with a thousand dreams.

Rhea Wali

Ashoka '26

A dreamer by design, Rhea is a sophomore at Ashoka University, studying biology, and also writes for the Ashoka chapter of Her Campus. She is an avid reader, science enthusiast and a trained Kathak dancer. She enjoys writing poetry, spending time with friends and family, and tries to do her bit to bridge the gap between Einstein and Shakespeare!