jenna ortega as wednesday
jenna ortega as wednesday
Netflix

THE DICHOTOMY OF GIRLHOOD: ROT GIRL WINTER VS. HOT GIRL SUMMER

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

In conversation with Wednesday and Enid:

Spring had painted the town with a riot of colours. Cherry blossoms were in full bloom and the air hummed with a promise of warmth. An odd, yet inseparable pair, embarked on a day filled with Galentine’s celebrations.

Wednesday, with her raven-black hair cascading down her shoulders, wore a long black coat that billowed in the breeze. Her silver accessories whispered of winter’s touch. The dark combat boots she wore clicked across the pavement and her eyes, sharp as icicles, surveyed the world with an air of contemplation – a living embodiment of the cool edge of ‘Rot Girl Winter.’

Enid, on the other hand, was a bright burst of summer. Sun-kissed and sassy, she was a walking ‘Hot Girl Summer’ anthem. Her pastel sundress fluttered like butterfly wings. She skipped along the sidewalk, her multi coloured bracelets jingling with every step. Her infectious smile could rival the sun’s shine, and a flower crown adorned her golden curls. 

As they entered a quaint café for brunch, Wednesday slid into the booth with practiced ease, while Enid practically bounced into hers, eyes sparkling with burning enthusiasm.

“Isn’t this place just the cutest, Wednesday? I mean, look at it. Love is literally in the air!”

Wednesday raised an eyebrow, her black coffee reflecting the wry amusement playing on her lips. 

“Love, or is it just the scent of syrup and pink marketing gimmicks?”

A dramatic gasp escaped Enid’s lips as she clutched her heart.

“Wednesday, you cynic!”

“Love, Enid, is like the snow that overstays its welcome,” Wednesday countered, her voice laced with dry humour. “Cold, inconvenient, and ultimately, just a phase.”

“But you can’t possibly deny how adorable these little heart-shaped pancakes are! Love in every bite.”

“Heart-shaped? How original. I’m sure they’ll taste like the cliché of a Nicholas Sparks novel.”

Undeterred, Enid revelled in her sugary breakfast, while Wednesday opted for a more practical omelette. 

Their next stop was a painting class where they were expected to create a masterpiece together. Enid, armed with a kaleidoscope of colours, couldn’t contain her excitement. 

“Wednesday, can you believe we are painting together? It’s going to be so much fun!”

“If you say so,” Wednesday replied, her voice flat. “I’m just here for colour therapy. No sentimentality required.”

Enid dipped her brush, painting bright yellow swirls all around the canvas until they blossomed into sunflowers as warm and inviting as the sweet summer sun. As she turned to witness her friend’s progress, she let out a small gulp that almost went unnoticed. Wednesday’s artwork depicted a chilling scene: a flock of grotesque crows feasting on Cupid’s remains.

“Wednesday…”  Enid started, concern dripping from her voice. “This is heavy, even for you. Lately, you have been… darker, sadder. Are you okay?”

Wednesday paused, her gaze dropping. “Oh, I didn’t realise it was that noticeable. I’ve just been going through some stuff. Have you ever felt like no matter how hard you try, you’re stuck in a never-ending blackhole? Even getting out of bed seems pointless.”

Enid’s eyes softened, “Oh sweetie, I had no idea. Why didn’t you tell me sooner? You know I’m always here for you.”

“I know. But you just seem so happy and sunny all the time. I don’t want to burden you with my darkness. We’re so different.”

Enid places a comforting hand on Wednesday’s shoulder.

“Hey, it’s okay to feel that way. You’re not alone, you know? I might seem happy, but sometimes I wish I could be a little more like you – strong, independent. I guess that’s what girlhood does, makes us want to be someone we’re not just because we feel like we don’t fit into the boxes that society creates.”

Enid and Wednesday represent two ends of a spectrum often used to define girls: the ‘hot girl summer’ ideal, characterised by vibrancy and outward joy, and the ‘rot girl winter’ persona, associated with introspection, darkness, and a quieter intensity. However, their friendship challenges the notion that their identities are mutually exclusive. Girlhood isn’t about choosing one label over another; it’s about acknowledging the internal seasons that shift and change throughout our lives. We can dance under the sun, radiating confidence and embracing friendships, while also allowing ourselves moments of quiet contemplation during winter nights bathed in moonlight. 

Tanya Gupta

Ashoka '27

Tanya is a content writer for HerCampus Ashoka. She is a freshman and aims to pursue Psychology as a major. You can usually find her in a corner with a book in hand, engrossed in the life of a messy protagonist or writing poetry as a means of catharsis. She is a Swiftie at heart and also loves listening to Arctic Monkeys, The Driver Era, and Gracie Abrams. She is also very into horror movies and true crime (viewing not committing).