Oddly Specific Playlist Recommendations: Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Arohi Sachar

#1

Mood: Contemplative– Srijay Raj

Song: Rudri Path

Contemplation is important for us to centre ourselves and gain a detached outlook of our situation. In the motions of everyday life, our minds become clouded with all sorts of opinions, and our ears are filled with unintelligible din. If this goes on for long, we develop anxiety, fear, and a host of other problems. One solution to this is to remain quiet and purge oneself of all thoughts and emotions. This is similar to the act of emptying a water pot, where the pot is our mind and the water is all the baggage it bears. 

This chant of Sri Rudram, is part of the Yajur Veda. It has two parts. The first part, chapter 16 of the Yajurveda, is known as Namakam because of the repeated use of the word “Namo” in it. The second part, chapter 18 of the Yajurveda, is known as Chamakam because of the repeated use of the words “Chame”. Concentrating on this chant, despite not knowing the meaning of the words, will aid in purging the mind. Once emptied, the mind becomes fit and controlled, ready to face the world. So, close your eyes and lose yourself in this ancient chant. 

#2

Mood: Nostalgia and dancing– Unnati Mishra

Songs: It’s The Time To Disco, Baby One More Time

You are back home for the summer, so you decided to meet your friend at their place. Everything is calm as music fills the background. Suddenly, familiar music comes up. The two of you look at each other frenzied yet confused. The first lyrics reach your ears, pushing you to think harder. Then, it all starts to make sense. It is not just the song title that you can remember now. A thousand memories have been unlocked. You get a strong urge to dance. Both of you could still remember the steps from the school function in the fifth grade when you had danced to the same song. You get some of the lyrics wrong while singing along and even miss some beats while dancing. It has been so long yet, it feels like no time has passed. You make a mental note of adding this to your playlist when you get home. By the final chorus, you nail the singing and choreography. The song ends. A moment of pause before the next song begins, you try to take a deep breath and gather yourself.

#3

Mood: Melancholy- Keerthana Sudarshan

Song for when you are sitting outside in the dark, breathing in the night air, with a mellow feeling of melancholy- Earth by Sleeping at last.

When I’m sitting in the quiet dark at twilight, illuminated only by the soft silver light of the moon, and the grass below me feels soft and undeniably green, the sounds of small insects and birds fill the background of this song. It puts in my mind all the space above me, and the depth and vastness of the earth below. With rising vocals, beautiful piano, and just a tinge of melancholy in the lyrics and the strings, this song is perfect when I just want to stay, not move or rush about, but stay in the richness of the moment. And if I want to make the moment last, I’d put on the whole album “Atlas: Year One” by Sleeping at Last and enjoy the magic that he creates. But this song in particular is so unbelievably beautiful, it is almost my duty to pass it on. Even if you can’t live this moment right now, just listen. In the music, you will feel it. 

Srijay Raj

Ashoka '23

I am interested in spirituality, music, films and politics.
Unnati is pursuing Economics at Ashoka University. When she is procrastinating (which happens a lot), she can be found looking at cat reels or listening to one of her 70 playlists on spotify.